Preferences and Normal Goods: An Easy-to-Check Necessary and Sufficient Condition
AbstractWe provide a necessary and sufficient condition for goods to be normal when utility functions are differentiable and strongly quasi-concave. Our condition is equivalent to the condition proposed by Alarie et al. (1990), but it is easier to check: it only requires to compute the minors associated with the border column (or row) of the bordered Hessian matrix of the utility function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics in its series Center for Economic Research (RECent) with number 042.
Length: pages 6
Date of creation: Feb 2010
Date of revision:
normal goods; bordered hessian;
Other versions of this item:
- Bilancini, Ennio & Boncinelli, Leonardo, 2010. "Preferences and normal goods: An easy-to-check necessary and sufficient condition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 13-15, July.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leroux, Alain, 1987. "Preferences and normal goods: A sufficient condition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 192-199, October.
- Alarie, Y. & Bronsard, C. & Ouellette, P., 1988.
"Preferences and Normal Goods : a Necessary and Sufficient Condition,"
Cahiers de recherche
8815, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Alarie, Yves & Bronsard, Camille & Ouellette, Pierre, 1990. "Preferences and normal goods: A necessary and sufficient condition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 423-430, August.
- Alarie, Y. & Bronsard, C. & Ouellette, P., 1988. "Preferences And Normal Goods : A Necessary And Sufficient Condition," Cahiers de recherche 8815, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- John K.-H Quah, 2007. "The Comparative Statics of Constrained Optimization Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 401-431, 03.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.