Providing Intuition to the Fieller Method with Two Geometric Representations using STATA and Eviews
AbstractThe Fieller Method for the construction of confidence intervals for ratios of the expected value of two normally distributed random variables has been shown by a number of authors to be a superior method to the delta approximation. However, it is not widely used due in part, to the tendency to present the intervals only in a formula context. In addition, potential users have been deterred by the potential difficulty in interpreting non-finite confidence intervals when the confidence level is less than 100%. In this paper we present two graphical methods which can be easily constructed using two widely used statistical software packages (Eviews and Stata) for the representation of the Fieller intervals. An application is presented to assess the results of a model of the non-accelerating inflation rate of unemployment (NAIRU).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Melbourne in its series Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number 992.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 5th Floor, Economics and Commerce Building, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 5289
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Fieller method; ratios of parameters; confidence interval; confidence ellipsoid; 1st derivative function; NAIRU; EViews; STATA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-04-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2007-04-21 (Econometrics)
- NEP-MAC-2007-04-21 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph G. Hirschberg & Jenny N. Lye, 2004. "Inferences for the Extremum of Quadratic Regression Models," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 906, The University of Melbourne.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Nadhem Idoudi & Lynda Khalaf & Clément Yélou, 2007. "Finite sample inference methods for dynamic energy demand models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1211-1226.
- J. Hirschberg & J. Lye & D.J. Slottje, 2005. "Alernative Forms for Restricted Regressions," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 954, The University of Melbourne.
- Gruen, David & Pagan, Adrian & Thompson, Christopher, 1999.
"The Phillips curve in Australia,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 223-258, October.
- Jean-Marie Dufour, 1997. "Some Impossibility Theorems in Econometrics with Applications to Structural and Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(6), pages 1365-1388, November.
- Anders Alexandersson, 2004. "Graphing confidence ellipses: An update of ellip for Stata 8," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 242-256, September.
- Michael Sherman & Arnab Maity & Suojin Wang, 2011. "Inferences for the ratio: Fieller’s interval, log ratio, and large sample based confidence intervals," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 95(3), pages 313-323, September.
- J. G. Hirschberg, J. N. Lye & D. J. Slottje, 2008. "Confidence Intervals for Estimates of Elasticities," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1053, The University of Melbourne.
- Hirschberg, J.G. & Lye, J.N. & Slottje, D.J., 2008. "Inferential methods for elasticity estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 299-315, December.
- Hirschberg, J.G. & Lye, J.N., 2010. "Two geometric representations of confidence intervals for ratios of linear combinations of regression parameters: An application to the NAIRU," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 73-76, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marisa Cerantola).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.