Growth and the Balance-of-Payment Constraint
AbstractThirwall's law posits that a country's economic growth rate (relative to that of the rest of the world) depends on a ratio of its export's income elastcity of demand to that of its imports. Empirical studies of this hypothesis have almost been entirely supportive, but we argue that the method used is flawed due to its reliance on least-squares estimates of the income elasticities. Using the Johansen procedure, we test for a long-run relationship between domestic and world income for the G7 nations and find little evidence that Thriwall's law holds.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Melbourne in its series Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number 622.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 5th Floor, Economics and Commerce Building, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 5289
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
ECONOMIC GROWTH ; EXPORTS ; IMPORTS ; ELASTICITY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho, 2001. "The balance-of-payments constraint:from balanced trade to sustainable debt," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(219), pages 381-400.
- Nelson H. Barbosa-Filho, 2001. "The balance-of-payments constraint:from balanced trade to sustainable debt," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 54(219), pages 381-400.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marisa Cerantola).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.