GMM Estimation of Income Distributions from Grouped Data
AbstractWe develop a GMM procedure for estimating income distributions from grouped data with unknown group bounds. The approach enables us to obtain standard errors for the estimated parameters and functions of the parameters, such as inequality and poverty measures, and to test the validity of an assumed distribution using a J-test. Using eight countries/regions for the year 2005, we show how the methodology can be applied to estimate the parameters of the generalized beta distribution of the second kind, and its special-case distributions, the beta-2, Singh-Maddala, Dagum, generalized gamma and lognormal distributions. This work extends earlier work (Chotikapanich et al., 2007, 2012) that did not specify a formal GMM framework, did not provide methodology for obtaining standard errors, and considered only the beta-2 distribution. The results show that generalized beta distribution fits the data well and outperforms other frequently used distributions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Melbourne in its series Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number 1129.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 5th Floor, Economics and Commerce Building, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 5289
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
GMM; generalized beta distribution; grouped data; inequality and poverty;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- McDonald, James B & Ransom, Michael R, 1979. "Functional Forms, Estimation Techniques and the Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1513-25, November.
- Duangkamon Chotikapanich & William E. Griffiths & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2005.
"Estimating and Combining National Income Distributions using Limited Data,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
926, The University of Melbourne.
- Chotikapanich, Duangkamon & Griffiths, William E. & Rao, D. S. Prasada, 2007. "Estimating and Combining National Income Distributions Using Limited Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 97-109, January.
- D.S. Prasada Rao & Duangkamon Chotikapanich & William E. Griffiths, 2004. "Estimating and Combining National Income Distributions using Limited Data," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 213, Econometric Society.
- Duangkamon Chotikapanich & William E Griffiths & D.S. Prasada Rao & Vicar Valencia, 2009. "Global Income Distribution and Inequality: 1993 and 2000," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1062, The University of Melbourne.
- McDonald, James B. & Xu, Yexiao J., 1995.
"A generalization of the beta distribution with applications,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 133-152.
- McDonald, James B. & Xu, Yexiao J., 1995. "A generalization of the beta distribution with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 427-428, October.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, April.
- Butler, Richard J. & McDonald, James B., 1989. "Using incomplete moments to measure inequality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 109-119, September.
- McDonald, James B, 1984. "Some Generalized Functions for the Size Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 647-63, May.
- Wu, Ximing & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2007. "GMM estimation of a maximum entropy distribution with interval data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(2), pages 532-546, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marisa Cerantola).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.