Selling Goods of Unknown Quality: Forward versus Spot Auctions
AbstractWe consider an environment where the sale can take place so early that both the seller and the potential buyers have the same uncertainty about the quality of the good. We present a simple model that allows the seller to put the good for sale before or after this uncertainty is resolved, , namely via forward auction or spot auction, respectively. We solve for the equilibrium of these two auctions and then compare the resulting revenues. We also consider the revenue implications of the insurance in forward auctions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Melbourne in its series Department of Economics - Working Papers Series with number 1091.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, The University of Melbourne, 5th Floor, Economics and Commerce Building, Victoria, 3010, Australia
Phone: +61 3 8344 5289
Fax: +61 3 8344 6899
Web page: http://www.economics.unimelb.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Forward Trading; Forward Auctions; Spot Auctions;
Other versions of this item:
- Isa Hafalir & Hadi Yektaş, 2011. "Selling goods of unknown quality: forward versus spot auctions," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 245-256, September.
- Hafalir, Isa E. & Yektas, Hadi, 2010. "Selling Goods of Unknown Quality: Forward versus Spot Auctions," MPRA Paper 19956, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- J. Riley & E. Maskin, 1981.
"Optimal Auctions with Risk Averse Buyers,"
311, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Gregory Lewis, 2011. "Asymmetric Information, Adverse Selection and Online Disclosure: The Case of eBay Motors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(4), pages 1535-46, June.
- Owen Phillips & Dale Menkhaus & Joseph Krogmeier, 2001. "Laboratory Behavior in Spot and Forward Auction Markets," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 243-256, December.
- Shimon Kogan & John Morgan, 2010.
"Securities Auctions under Moral Hazard: An Experimental Study,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 14(3), pages 477-520.
- Shimon Kogan & John Morgan, . "Securities Auctions under Moral Hazard: An Experimental Study," GSIA Working Papers 2006-E23, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Tanga McDaniel & Neuhoff, K., 2002. "Auctions to gas transmission access: The British experience," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0234, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Matthews, Steven, 1987.
"Comparing Auctions for Risk Averse Buyers: A Buyer's Point of View,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 633-46, May.
- Steven A. Matthews, 1985. "Comparing Auctions for Risk Averse Buyers: A Buyer's Pointof View," Discussion Papers 664R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Milgrom, Paul R & Weber, Robert J, 1982.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1089-1122, September.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1991. "Loss Aversion in Riskless Choice: A Reference-Dependent Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1039-61, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marisa Cerantola).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.