Real Effective Exchange Rates for 178 Countries: a New Database
AbstractWe use data on exchange rates and consumer price indices and the weighting matrix derived by Bayoumi, Lee and Jaewoo (2006) to calculate consumer price index-based REER. The main novelties of our database are that (1) it includes data for 178 countries –many more than in any other publicly available database– plus an external REER for the euro area, using a consistent methodology; (2) it includes up-to-date REER values, such as data for January 2012; and (3) it is relatively easy to calculate REER against any arbitrary group of countries. The annual database is complete for 172 countries and the euro area for 1992-2011 and data is available for six other countries for a shorter period. For several countries annual data is available for earlier years as well, e.g. data is available for 67 countries from 1960. The monthly database is complete for 138 countries for January 1995-January 2012, and data is also available for 15 other countries for a shorter period. The indicators calculated by us are freely downloadable and will be irregularly updated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest in its series Working Papers with number 1201.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 19 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
effective exchange rate;
Other versions of this item:
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "Real effective exchange rates for 178 countries: A new database," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1210, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2012. "Real effective exchange rates for 178 countries: a new database," Working Papers 716, Bruegel.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-04-03 (Central Banking)
- NEP-OPM-2012-04-03 (Open Economy Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & AndrÃ© Sapir & Guntram B. Wolff, . "EU-IMF assistance to euro area countries: an early assessment," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 779, October.
- Benkovskis, Konstantins & Wörz, Julia, 2013.
"Non-price competitiveness of exports from emerging countries,"
Working Paper Series
1612, European Central Bank.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Julia Wörz, 2012. "Non-Price Competitiveness of Exports from Emerging Countries," FIW Working Paper series 100, FIW.
- Benkovskis, Konstantins & Wörz, Julia, 2012. "Non-price competitiveness of exports from emerging countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2012, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Das, Debasish Kumar, 2012. "Determinants of current account imbalances in the global economy: A dynamic panel analysis," MPRA Paper 42419, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Bruno Martorano, 2013.
"Development policies and income inequality in selected developing regions, 1980-2010,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2013_13.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Giovanni Andrea Cornia & Bruno Martorano, 2012. "Development Policies and Income Inequality in Selected Developing Regions, 1980–2010," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 210, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Johannesen, Niels, 2014.
"Tax evasion and Swiss bank deposits,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(C), pages 46-62.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Balazs Varga).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.