Dynamics of productivity in higher education. Cross-European evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices
AbstractThis study presents patterns of productivity change in a large set of 266 public higher education institutions (HEIs) from 7 European countries across the time period 2001-2005. We adopt consistent bootstrap estimation procedures to obtain confidence intervals for Malmquist indices of HEI productivity and their components. Consequently, we are able to assess statistical significance of the changes in HEIs’ productivity, efficiency and technology. Our results suggest that when we treat the HEIs from all the countries jointly, their productivity, on average, rose by 4% annually, but when we account for the cross-country heterogeneity of education systems, average total factor productivity (TFP) growth is much lower. There are considerable international differences, with German, Italian and Swiss HEIs performing better, in terms of productivity change, than HEIs from the other countries. Of the 266 European universities examined, only 4 registered consistent annual improvements in TFP, which are robust to the way of estimating productivity frontiers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2011-10.
Date of creation: 11 May 2011
Date of revision:
Productivity; Efficiency; Higher Education; Bootstrapped Malmquist index;
Other versions of this item:
- Aleksandra Parteka & Joanna Wolszczak-Derlacz, 2013. "Dynamics of productivity in higher education: cross-european evidence based on bootstrapped Malmquist indices," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 67-82, August.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelvin Balcombe & Sophia Davidova & Laure Latruffe, 2008.
"The use of bootstrapped Malmquist indices to reassess productivity change findings: an application to a sample of Polish farms,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2055-2061.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure, 2006. "The Use of Bootstrapped Malmquist Indices to Reassess Productivity Change Findings: An Application to a Sample of Polish Farms," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25793, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2011. "Two-stage DEA: caveat emptor," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 205-218, October.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999.
"Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., .
"Sensitivity analysis of efficiency scores: how to bootstrap in nonparametric frontier models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1304, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Url, Thomas, 2010. "Single Market effects on productivity in the German insurance industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1540-1548, July.
- Wilson, Paul W., 2008. "FEAR: A software package for frontier efficiency analysis with R," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 247-254, December.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Papers 9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Glass, J C & McKillop, Donal G & Hyndman, N, 1995. "Efficiency in the Provision of University Teaching and Research: An Empirical Analysis of UK Universities," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 61-72, Jan.-Marc.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- A. T. Flegg & D. O. Allen & K. Field & T. W. Thurlow, 2004. "Measuring the efficiency of British universities: a multi-period data envelopment analysis," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 231-249.
- Tommaso Agasisti & Geraint Johnes, 2009. "Beyond frontiers: comparing the efficiency of higher education decision-making units across more than one country," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 59-79.
- Boussofiane, A. & Dyson, R. G. & Thanassoulis, E., 1991. "Applied data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-15, May.
- Dong-hyun Oh & Jeong-dong Lee, 2010. "A metafrontier approach for measuring Malmquist productivity index," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 47-64, February.
- Élisé Wendlassida Miningou & Valérie Vierstraete, 2012.
"Households' living situation and the efficient provision of primary education in Burkina Faso,"
Cahiers de recherche
12-12, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Miningou, Élisé Wendlassida & Vierstraete, Valérie, 2013. "Households' living situation and the efficient provision of primary education in Burkina Faso," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 910-917.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask DEMM Working Papers to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.