Nominal wage rigidity in Europe: estimates and institutional causes
AbstractIn this paper we construct and compare different measures of nominal wage rigidity for the EU countries using the 1994-2000 waves of the European Community Household Panel. The observed distributions of nominal wage changes show a relevant percentage of nominal wage cuts and freezes across countries. When measurement error is taken into account in an econometric model of wage changes appropriately estimated, it explains almost the totality of wage cuts observed. Therefore the extent of nominal wage rigidity is quite high in Europe. Institutional causes of wage rigidity are investigated, finding an ''hump-shaped'' relationship between nominal wage flexibility and both employment protection legislation and coordination. On the other hand, an ''u-shaped'' impact of union coverage on measures of downward wage rigidity is found
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2005-09.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Nominal wage rigidity; measurement error; intercountry comparison; institutions in labor markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2005-05-14 (European Economics)
- NEP-LAB-2005-05-14 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2003.
"Nominal wage rigidity and the rate of inflation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 762-781, October.
- Groth, Charlotta & Johansson, Asa, 2004.
"Bargaining structure and nominal wage flexibility,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1349-1365, December.
- Steinar Holden, 2004.
"Wage Formation under Low Inflation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1252, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kahn, Shulamit, 1997. "Evidence of Nominal Wage Stickiness from Microdata," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 993-1008, December.
- Nickell, S. & Layard, R., 1997.
"Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance,"
23, Centre for Economic Performance & Institute of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Layard, Richard, 1999. "Labor market institutions and economic performance," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 46, pages 3029-3084 Elsevier.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1998. "Labour Market Institutions and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0407, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Steinar Holden, 2004.
"The Costs of Price Stability: Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(281), pages 183-208, 05.
- Steinar Holden, 2002. "The Costs of Price Stability - Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe," NBER Working Papers 8865, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steinar Holden & Fredrik Wulfsberg, 2004. "Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe (new title: The costs of price stability - downward nominal wage rigidity in Europe)," CESifo Working Paper Series 1177, CESifo Group Munich.
- Steinar Holden & Fredrik Wulfsberg, 2004.
"Downward Nominal Wage Rigidity in Europe,"
2004/5, Norges Bank.
- Franco Peracchi, 2002. "The European Community Household Panel: A review," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 63-90.
- Smith, Jennifer C, 2000. "Nominal Wage Rigidity in the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C176-95, March.
- McLaughlin, Kenneth J., 1994. "Rigid wages?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 383-414, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.