Economic Implications of Europe-Maghreb Trade Agreements
AbstractThis paper reviews the various economic effects on Algeria of accepting the European Union's invitation to enter into an economic partnership, as has already been done by two other countries of the Maghreb, Morocco and Tunisia. These Euro-Mediterranean partnerships consist primarily of the formation of free trade areas, FTAs, including the EU and the country involved, so my analysis is devoted primarily to the economic effects of an FTA. However, the occasion of forming an FTA also provides an opportunity to undertake several additional steps toward integration, which I also examine. These are 1) deeper integration, 2) extension of the FTA to include other neighboring countries, and 3) reductions in tariffs on imports from the rest of the world. The paper concludes that an EU-Algeria FTA would probably be good for Algeria, but the benefits can be substantially enhanced and the costs reduced by pursuing also one or more of these additional steps.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan in its series Working Papers with number 442.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
FREE TRADE ; INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS ; TRADE POLICY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (FSPP Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.