Voting for Legislators
AbstractIn this paper we propose a model with uncertainty in which strategic voters vote, under poportional rule, for a Parliament and parties bargain to form a government. We prove that only consensus government form and only extreme parties take votes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 240.
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision: Mar 2013
Proportional Election; Strategic Voting; Legislative Bargaining;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D72 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Political Processes: Rent-seeking, Lobbying, Elections, Legislatures, and Voting Behavior
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2013-03-23 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-GTH-2013-03-23 (Game Theory)
- NEP-MIC-2013-03-23 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-POL-2013-03-23 (Positive Political Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David P. Baron & Daniel Diermeier, 2001. "Elections, Governments, And Parliaments In Proportional Representation Systems," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 116(3), pages 933-967, August.
- De Sinopoli, F. & Iannantuoni, G., 2005.
"Extreme Voting under Proportional Representation: The Multidimensional Case,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0531, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Francesco Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2008. "Extreme voting under proportional representation: the multidimensional case," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 401-417, April.
- De Sinopoli, Francesco & Iannantuoni, Giovanna, . "Extreme voting under proportional representation: the multidimensional case," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/349, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Francesco De Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2005. "Extreme Voting Under Proportional Representation:The Multidimensional Case," Economics Working Papers we053421, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Diermeier, Daniel & Merlo, Antonio, 2004.
"An empirical investigation of coalitional bargaining procedures,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 783-797, March.
- Daniel Diermeier & Antoni Merlo, 1999. "An Empirical Investigation of Coalitional Bargaining Procedures," Discussion Papers 1267, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- DE SINOPOLI, Francesco & IANNANTUONI, Giovanna, 2000.
"A spatial voting model where proportional rule leads to two-party equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2000037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Francesco Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2007. "A spatial voting model where proportional rule leads to two-party equilibria," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 267-286, January.
- Francesco De Sinopoli & Giovanna Iannantuoni, 2003. "A Spatial Voting Model Where Proportional Rule Leads to Two-Party Equilibria," CEIS Research Paper 31, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Reale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.