Product market competition and collateralized debt
AbstractThis paper presents a model where bank credit depends upon borrowers.product market structure. We show that a larger number of competitors in the industry may increase credit availability by enhancing the resale value of the collateralized productive assets. We also study how this bene.t of competition is affected by the existence of outsiders willing to bid for the collateralized productive assets of the insiders. Our model encompasses the standard case of Cournot competition either when the default probability goes to zero or when there are multiple outsiders bidding for the productive assets. We test the empirical implications of the theoretical analysis exploiting information on the access to finance of small and medium Italian firms and find supportive evidence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Milano-Bicocca, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 238.
Date of creation: Mar 2013
Date of revision: Mar 2013
collateralized loans; product market competition; productive assets resale value;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- G33 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Bankruptcy; Liquidation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Jean Tirole, 1994.
"Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector,"
95-1, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1997. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds, and the Real Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 663-91, August.
- Holmström, Bengt & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Financial Intermediation, Loanable Funds and the Real Sector," IDEI Working Papers 40, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Heitor Almeida & Murillo Campello & Dirk Hackbarth, 2011.
NBER Working Papers
16724, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gavazza, Alessandro, 2010. "Asset liquidity and financial contracts: Evidence from aircraft leases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 62-84, January.
- Efraim Benmelech & Nittai K. Bergman, 2010.
"Bankruptcy and the Collateral Channel,"
NBER Working Papers
15708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Chizzolini, Barbara & Ivaldi, Marc, 2009.
"The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry,"
IDEI Working Papers
582, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 07 Jun 2012.
- Vittoria Cerasi & Barbara Chizzolini & Marc Ivaldi, 2010. "The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry," Working Papers 2010.95, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Chizzolini, Barbara & Ivaldi, Marc, 2009. "The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry," TSE Working Papers 09-113, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised 07 Jun 2012.
- Cerasi, Vittoria & Chizzolini, Barbara & Ivaldi, Marc, 2010. "The Impact of Mergers on the Degree of Competition in the Banking Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 7618, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Efraim Benmelech & Nittai K. Bergman, 2008.
NBER Working Papers
13874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Massimo Colombo & Luca Grilli, 2007. "Funding Gaps? Access To Bank Loans By High-Tech Start-Ups," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 25-46, June.
- Cerasi Vittoria & Fedele Alessandro, 2011. "Does Product Market Competition Increase Credit Availability?," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-27, July.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Reale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.