Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey
AbstractThere are few studies on unemployment duration in developing countries. This is the first study on duration aspect of unemployment in Turkey. We use the results of the Household Labor Force Surveys of 2000 and 2001 to construct a cross-section of durations of unemployment spells. We analyze the determinants of probability of leaving unemployment or the hazard rate. The effects of the personal and household characteristics and the local labor market conditions are examined. Non-Parametric and parametric estimation methods are used, controlling for the unobserved heterogeneity. Two alternative definitions of unemployment are considered. The analyses are carried out for men and women separately. Our results indicate that women are experiencing higher unemployment durations then men. Age has a negative and education has a positive effect on the hazard rate. The effect of the local unemployment rate is large and negative. Duration dependence of the exit rate from unemployment is different for men and women. For men, there is slight U-shaped duration dependence, while for women there is no duration dependence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University in its series ERC Working Papers with number 0404.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision: Feb 2004
Turkey; unemployment duration; gender issues;
Other versions of this item:
- Tansel, Aysit & Tasci, H. Mehmet, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," IZA Discussion Papers 1258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aysit Tansel & Mehmet Tasci, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," Working Papers 2004/6, Turkish Economic Association.
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-21 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Portugal & John T. Addison, 2008.
"Six Ways To Leave Unemployment,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 55(4), pages 393-419, 09.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1995. "Easy Estimation Methods for Discrete-Time Duration Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 129-38, February.
- Meghir, Costas & Ioannides, Yannis & Pissarides, Christopher, 1989. "Female participation and male unemployment duration in Greece: Evidence from the labour force survey," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 395-406, March.
- Hunt, Jennifer, 1995.
"The Effect of Unemployment Compensation on Unemployment Duration in Germany,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 88-120, January.
- Jennifer Hunt, 1992. "The Effect of Unemployment Compensation on Unemployment Duration in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 50, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2000-01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Foley, M.C., 1997. "Labor Market Dynamics in Russia," Papers 780, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Byrne, David & Strobl, Eric, 2004.
"Defining unemployment in developing countries: evidence from Trinidad and Tobago,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 465-476, February.
- Strobl, Eric & Byrne, David, 2002. "Defining Unemployment in Developing Countries: Evidence from Trinidad and Tobago," IZA Discussion Papers 659, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Louise Grogan & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2001.
"The duration of unemployment in Russia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 549-568.
- Grogan, Louise & Berg, Gerard J. van den, 1999. "The duration of unemployment in Russia," Serie Research Memoranda 0015, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Louise Grogan & Gerard J. van den Berg, 1999. "The Duration of Unemployment in Russia," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-011/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Grogan, Louise & van den Berg, Gerard J, 1999. "The Duration of Unemployment in Russia," CEPR Discussion Papers 2268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1985. "Unemployment insurance and the distribution of unemployment spells," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 85-101, April.
- Carling, Kenneth & Edin, Per-Anders & Harkman, Anders & Holmlund, Bertil, 1996. "Unemployment duration, unemployment benefits, and labor market programs in Sweden," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 313-334, March.
- Joseph Hilbe, 1993. "Generalized linear models," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(11).
- Alfonso Alba-Ramírez, 1998. "Re-employment probabilities of young workers in Spain," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 22(2), pages 201-224, May.
- Böheim, René & Taylor, Mark P, 2000.
"Unemployment Duration and Exit States in Britain,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2500, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark C. Foley, 1997. "Labor Market Dynamics in Russia," Working Papers 780, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- James W. Hardin & Joseph W. Hilbe, 2012. "Generalized Linear Models and Extensions, 3rd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 3, number glmext, December.
- Ham, John C & Rea, Samuel A, Jr, 1987. "Unemployment Insurance and Male Unemployment Duration in Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 5(3), pages 325-53, July.
- Fenglian Du & Jian-chun Yang & Xiao-yuan Dong, 2007. "Why Do Women Have Longer Unemployment Durations than Men in Post-Restructuring Urban China?," Working Papers PMMA 2007-23, PEP-PMMA.
- Fatma El-Hamidi, 2006. "Why Does the MENA Region Have Such High Unemployment Rates?," Working Papers 270, University of Pittsburgh, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2006.
- Hock-Eam Lim, 2011. "The Determinants Of Individual Unemployment Duration: The Case Of Malaysian Graduates," Journal of Global Management, Global Research Agency, vol. 2(2), pages 184-203, July.
- Hock-Eam Lim Author_Email: email@example.com, 2011. "The Determinants Of Individual Unemployment Duration: The Case Of Malaysian Graduates," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-510, Conference Master Resources.
- Daniela-Emanuela Dănăcică, 2011. "Incidence And Unemployment Duration In The Oltenia Region," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 2, pages 42-55, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erol Taymaz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.