Material Deprivation in Selected EU Countries according to EU SILC Income Statistics
AbstractThe article focuses on issues of households at risk of poverty in a relative conception. Income poverty represents a situation when the threshold of 0.6 of median income is not achieved. The analysis of a broader definition of poverty bases on identification and assessment of material deprivation factors, which include: Financial stress, Housing conditions, Availability of consumer durables and Basic needs. Data sources are based EU-SILC dataset. The presented analysis focuses on selected EU countries, namely Czech Republic, Finland, France, Spain and United Kingdom. The result is the identification of problem areas that cause deprivation symptoms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Mendel University in Brno, Faculty of Business and Economics in its series MENDELU Working Papers in Business and Economics with number 2012-19.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
EU-SILC; income; material deprivation; poverty;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caroline Dewilde, 2004. "The Multidimensional Measurement of Poverty in Belgium and Britain: A Categorical Approach," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 68(3), pages 331-369, September.
- Christopher T. Whelan & Bertrand Maître, 2010. "Protecting the vulnerable: poverty and social exclusion in ireland as the economic crisis emerged," Working Papers 201023, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Luna Bellani & Conchita D’Ambrosio, 2011. "Deprivation, Social Exclusion and Subjective Well-Being," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 104(1), pages 67-86, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luděk Kouba).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.