The local and regional economic role of universities: the case of the University of Cardiff
AbstractThe paper evaluates the regional and local economic impact of the University of Cardiff, dividing its effects into two major sides: ”expenditure impacts” and ”knowledge impacts”. It reviews the major tools and methodologies available in the literature to assess the two sides. It measures the ”expenditure impact” in the financial year 2000-2001 through a Keynesian multiplier model developed by the Centre for Advanced Social Studies (CASS) in order to compare that same impact in the financial year 1994-1995. It assesses the university’s ”knowledge impact” through two main variables: 1) employment and destination of graduates or ”people impact”; 2) kind of knowledge produced. It concludes that Cardiff University’s graduates enjoy a full-employment and, according to our conceptual framework (Tavoletti, 2005), it classifies Cardiff’s higher education system as ”non-active” positional competition and ”social knowledge” production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE) in its series Working Papers with number 09-2007.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision: Feb 2010
higher education; knowledge; university; graduates; regional development; human capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luciana Lazzeretti & Ernesto Tavoletti, 2005. "Higher Education Excellence and Local Economic Development: The Case of the Entrepreneurial University of Twente," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 475-493, April.
- Rip, Arie, 2002. " Regional Innovation Systems and the Advent of Strategic Science," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 123-31, January.
- Andersson, Ake E. & Anderstig, Christer & Harsman, Bjorn, 1990. "Knowledge and communications infrastructure and regional economic change," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 359-376, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo Sampaoli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.