Nonparametric Kernel Regression with Multiple Predictors and Multiple Shape Constraints
AbstractNonparametric smoothing under shape constraints has recently received much well-deserved attention. Powerful methods have been proposed for imposing a single shape constraint such as monotonicity and concavity on univariate functions. In this paper, we extend the monotone kernel regression method in Hall and Huang (2001) to the multivariate and multi-constraint setting. We impose equality and/or inequality constraints on a nonparametric kernel regression model and its derivatives. A bootstrap procedure is also proposed for testing the validity of the constraints. Consistency of our constrained kernel estimator is provided through an asymptotic analysis of its relationship with the unconstrained estimator. Theoretical underpinnings for the bootstrap procedure are also provided. Illustrative Monte Carlo results are presented and an application is considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McMaster University in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 2012-08.
Length: 47 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
shape restrictions; nonparametric regression; multivariate kernel estimation; hypothesis testing;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2000. "Inconsistency of the Bootstrap when a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Parameter Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 399-406, March.
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1991. "Semiparametric Estimation of Monotone and Concave Utility Functions for Polychotomous Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(5), pages 1315-27, September.
- Enno MAMMEN & C. THOMAS-AGNAN, 1996. "Smoothing Splines And Shape Restrictions," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,87, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Shao, Xiaofeng, 2010. "The Dependent Wild Bootstrap," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(489), pages 218-235.
- Melanie Birke & Kay F. Pilz, 2009. "Nonparametric Option Pricing with No-Arbitrage Constraints," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(2), pages 53-76, Spring.
- Francisca Galindo-Garre & Jeroen Vermunt, 2004. "The order-restricted association model: Two estimation algorithms and issues in testing," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 69(4), pages 641-654, December.
- Shujie Ma & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2012. "Additive Regression Splines With Irrelevant Categorical and Continuous Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2012-07, McMaster University.
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1982. "Unbiased determination of production technologies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, November.
- Lee, Chia-Yen & Johnson, Andrew L. & Moreno-Centeno, Erick & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2013. "A more efficient algorithm for Convex Nonparametric Least Squares," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 227(2), pages 391-400.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Golub, Gene H., 1984.
"Imposing curvature restrictions on flexible functional forms,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 295-321, December.
- A. Ronald Gallant & Gene H. Golub, 1982. "Imposing Curvature Restrictions on Flexible Functional Forms," Discussion Papers 538, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2000. "Multiple comparisons with the best, with economic applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-26.
- Xiao Wang & Jinglai Shen, 2010. "A class of grouped Brunk estimators and penalized spline estimators for monotone regression," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 97(3), pages 585-601.
- E. Mammen, 1999. "Smoothing Splines and Shape Restrictions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(2), pages 239-252.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.