Awkward Moments in Teaching Public Finance
AbstractWhile there are many successes for students and teachers to enjoy in modern public finance there remain some ‘awkward moments’ — moments when, you, the student or the teacher, would prefer to be somewhere other than the classroom. This essay discusses three of these ‘moments’ and suggests ways to diminish their awkwardness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McMaster University in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 2001-01.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erosa, Andres & Gervais, Martin, 2002.
"Optimal Taxation in Life-Cycle Economies,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 338-369, August.
- Andres Erosa & Martin Gervais, 2000. "Optimal taxation in life-cycle economies," Working Paper 00-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Andrés Erosa & Martin Gervais, 1998. "Optimal Taxation in Life-Cycle Economies," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9812, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Baker, Michael & Benjamin, Dwayne, 1999. "How do retirement tests affect the labour supply of older men?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 27-51, January.
- Yvette Alvarez & John Burbidge & Ted Farrell & Leigh Palmer, 1992. "Optimal Taxation in a Life-Cycle Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 111-22, February.
- Auerbach, Alan J & Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Skinner, Jonathan, 1983.
"The Efficiency Gains from Dynamic Tax Reform,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 81-100, February.
- Arnold C. Harberger, 1962. "The Incidence of the Corporation Income Tax," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 215.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1981. "Capital Taxation and Accumulation in a Life Cycle Growth Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 533-44, September.
- Baker, Michael & Benjamin, Dwayne, 1999. "Early Retirement Provisions and the Labor Force Behavior of Older Men: Evidence from Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 724-56, October.
- Cragg, John G & Harberger, Arnold C & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1970. "Corporation Tax Shifting: A Rejoinder," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 774-77, Part I, J.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
- John G. Cragg & Arnold C. Harberger & Peter Mieszkowski, 1967. "Empirical Evidence on the Incidence of the Corporation Income Tax," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 811.
- Michael Baker & Jonathan Gruber & Kevin Milligan, 2004. "Income Security Programs and Retirement in Canada," NBER Chapters, in: Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World: Micro-Estimation, pages 99-152 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auerbach, Alan J., 1979. "A brief note on a non-existent theorem about the optimality of uniform taxation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 49-52.
- Besley, Timothy & Jewitt, Ian, 1995. "Uniform taxation and consumer preferences," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 73-84, September.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, December.
- John B. Burbidge & A. Leslie Robb, 1980. "Pensions and Retirement Behaviour," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(3), pages 421-37, August.
- Krzyzaniak, Marian & Musgrave, Richard A, 1970. "Corporation Tax Shifting: A Response," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 768-73, Part I Ju.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.