The Association Between the Frequency of Wife Assault and Marital Dissolution
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate the source of the positive association between domestic abuse in a first marriage and the probability of that marriage ending using the 1993 Violence Against Women survey (VAWS) data. We find that the association between abuse and the decision to separate remains significant and largely unaffected when all VAWS variables thought to influence the decision to separate are added to the probit. Most of the variables which are not available in the VAWS do not appear to be capable of generating a spurious positive relationship between the frequency of abuse and marital dissolution. We also find no evidence of systematic reporting differences which might generate a spurious association between abuse and dissolution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McMaster University in its series Department of Economics Working Papers with number 1998-05.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: May 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Saul D. Hoffman & Greg J. Duncan, 1995. "The Effect of Incomes, Wages, and AFDC Benefits on Marital Disruption," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(1), pages 19-41.
- T. Balakrishnan & K. Rao & Evelyne Lapierre-Adamcyk & Karol Krotki, 1987. "A Hazard Model Analysis Of The Covariates Of Marriage Dissolution In Canada," Demography, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 395-406, August.
- Martin Dooley & Stéphane Gascon & Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan, 1999.
"Lone Female Headship and Welfare Policy in Canada,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
76, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Phillip Merrigan & Martin Dooley, . "Lone Female Headship and Welfare Policy in Canada," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 08, McMaster University.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan & Martin Dooley, 1998. "Lone Female Headship and Welfare Policy in Canada," Department of Economics Working Papers 1998-02, McMaster University.
- Becker, Gary S & Landes, Elisabeth M & Michael, Robert T, 1977. "An Economic Analysis of Marital Instability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(6), pages 1141-87, December.
- Lillard, Lee A., 1993. "Simultaneous equations for hazards : Marriage duration and fertility timing," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1-2), pages 189-217, March.
- Lori J. Curtis, 2001. "Lone Motherhood and Health Status," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 27(3), pages 335-356, September.
- Lori J. Curtis & Martin D. Dooley & Ellen L. Lipman & David H. Feeny, 2001. "The role of permanent income and family structure in the determination of child health in Canada," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 287-302.
- Curtis, Laurie Dooley , Martin Phipps , Shelley, 2002. "Qui a raison des parents ou des enfants? Evaluation de l'accord des parents et des enfants dans l'Enquete longitudinale nationale sur les enfants et les jeunes," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 2002181f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Shelley Phipps, . "Economics and Well-Being of Canadian Children," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 35, McMaster University.
- Curtis, Laurie Dooley , Martin Phipps , Shelley, 2002. "Does Parent or Child Know Best? an Assessment of Parent/Child Agreement in the Canadian National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2002181e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.