Earnings Inequality in Australia: Changes and Causes
AbstractThis paper reviews research which has examined recent developments in earnings inequality in Australia. Three main issues are addressed. First, what have been the dimension and timing of changes in earnings inequality which have occurred? Second, how have earnings differentials between workers in different age groups and with different levels of educational attainment changed, and to what extent can those changes be explained by shifts in the relative demand for labour and relative supply of labour by level of skill? Third, what do we know about the causes of changes in earnings inequality?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McMaster University in its series Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers with number 05.
Date of creation: Feb 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.mcmaster.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borland, Jeff, 1996.
"Education and the Structure of Earnings in Australia,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(219), pages 370-80, December.
- Borland, J., 1995. "Education and the Structure of Earnings in Australia," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 494, The University of Melbourne.
- Gregory, R G, 1991. "Jobs and Gender: A Lego Approach to the Australian Labour Market," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 0(0), pages 20-40, Supplemen.
- Borland, J. & Kennedy, S., 1998.
"Earnings Inequality in Australia,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
389, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan N. Houseman, 1993.
"Earnings Inequality in Germany,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
94-24, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Katharine G. Abraham & Susan Houseman, 1995. "Earnings Inequality in Germany," NBER Chapters, in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 371-404 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan N. Houseman & Katharine G. Abraham, 1995. "Earnings Inequality in Germany," Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers, in: Richard B. Freeman & Lawrence F. Katz (ed.), Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 371-403 W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Steven J. Davis, 1992.
"Cross-Country Patterns of Change in Relative Wages,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 239-300
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis, 1992. "Cross-Country Patterns of Change in Relative Wages," NBER Working Papers 4085, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy, Frank & Murnane, Richard J, 1992. "U.S. Earnings Levels and Earnings Inequality: A Review of Recent Trends and Proposed Explanations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1333-81, September.
- Chia, Tai-Tee, 1991. "Has the Value of a Degree Fallen? Cross-Sectional versus Time-Series Evidence," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 0(0), pages 41-52, Supplemen.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Gary W. Loveman & David G. Blanchflower, 1993. "A Comparison of Changes in the Structure of Wages," NBER Working Papers 4297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Peter Saunders, 1995. "Unpacking Inequality: Wage Incomes, Disposable Incomes and Living Standards," Discussion Papers 0063, University of New South Wales, Social Policy Research Centre.
- Norris, Keith, 1977. "The Dispersion of Earnings in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 53(144), pages 475-89, December.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1969. "Capital-Skill Complementarity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(4), pages 465-68, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.