AbstractThe concept of stochastic dominance is defined, and its relation to welfare, poverty, and income inequality explained. A brief discussion is provided of how statistical inference may be performed for hypotheses relating to stochastic dominance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by McGill University, Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2006-19.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - General
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-09-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1998.
"Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality,"
Cahiers de recherche
9805, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Russell Davidson & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1435-1464, November.
- Davidson, R. & Duclos, J.-Y., 1998. "Statistical Inference for Stochastic Dominance and for the Measurement of Poverty and Inequality," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a14, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-64, July.
- Anderson, Gordon, 1996. "Nonparametric Tests of Stochastic Dominance in Income Distributions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1183-93, September.
- Bishop, John A & Chow, K Victor & Zheng, Buhong, 1995. "Statistical Inference and Decomposable Poverty Measures," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(4), pages 329-40, October.
- Kaur, Amarjot & Prakasa Rao, B.L.S. & Singh, Harshinder, 1994. "Testing for Second-Order Stochastic Dominance of Two Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 849-866, December.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:10:y:1994:i:5:p:849-66 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1983. "Ranking Income Distributions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(197), pages 3-17, February.
- Beach, Charles M & Richmond, James, 1985. "Joint Confidence Intervals for Income Shares and Lorenz Curves," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(2), pages 439-50, June.
- Wolak, Frank A., 1989. "Testing inequality constraints in linear econometric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 205-235, June.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1993. "Statistical Inference in the Measurement of Poverty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 632-39, November.
- Garry F. Barrett & Stephen G. Donald, 2003. "Consistent Tests for Stochastic Dominance," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 71-104, January.
- Ian Rongve, 1997. "Statistical inference for poverty indices with fixed poverty lines," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 387-392.
- Jenkins, Stephen P & Lambert, Peter J, 1997. "Three 'I's of Poverty Curves, with an Analysis of UK Poverty Trends," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(3), pages 317-27, July.
- Dominic Gasbarro & Wing-Keung Wong & J. Kenton Zumwalt, 2007.
"Stochastic Dominance Analysis of iShares,"
Finance Working Papers
21919, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Liu, Xuanli & Miller, Gay Y. & McNamara, Paul E., 2003. "Do Antibiotics Reduce Production Risk For U.S. Pork Producers?," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22026, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Boèvi Kouglo Lawson Body & Kokou Baninganti & Etsri Homevoh & Etse Adjo Lamadokou, 2007. "Analyse comparative de l'état de pauvreté et d'inégalité au Togo: une approche multidimensionnelle basée sur l'indice de richesse/Comparative Analysis of Poverty and Inequality in Togo: a Multidi," Working Papers PMMA 2007-10, PEP-PMMA.
- Mireille Bardos, 2007. "What is at stake in the construction and use of credit scores?," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 29(2), pages 159-172, March.
- Sami Bibi, 2005. "When is Economic Growth Pro-Poor? Evidence from Tunisia," Cahiers de recherche 0522, CIRPEE.
- Abhay Abhyankar & Keng-Yu Ho & Huainan Zhao, 2005. "Long-run post-merger stock performance of UK acquiring firms: a stochastic dominance perspective," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(10), pages 679-690.
- Brian Nolan & Bertrand Maitre, 2000. "A Comparative Perspective on Trends in Income Inequality in Ireland," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(4), pages 329-350.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2008.
"Bootstrap Tests of Stochastic Dominance with AsymptoticSimilarity on the Boundary,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2008/527, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Oliver Linton1 & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2008. "Bootstrap Tests of Stochastic Dominance with Asymptotic Similarity on the Boundary," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-006, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Oliver Linton & Kyungchul Song & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2008. "Bootstrap tests of stochastic dominance with asymptotic similarity on the boundary," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michael C. Burda & Bernd Fitzenberger & Alexander Lembcke & Thorsten Vogel, 2008. "Unionization, Stochastic Dominance, and Compression of the Wage Distribution: Evidence from Germany," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-041, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2004.
"Equity and Policy Effectiveness with Imperfect Targeting,"
0423, Economic Research Forum, revised Oct 2004.
- Bibi, Sami & Duclos, Jean-Yves, 2007. "Equity and policy effectiveness with imperfect targeting," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 109-140, May.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos, 2003. "Equity and Policy Effectiveness with Imperfect Targeting," Cahiers de recherche 0335, CIRPEE.
- Benoit Tarroux, 2006.
"Are Equalization Payments Making Canadians Better Off? A Two-Dimensional Dominance Answer,"
IDEP Working Papers
0608, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 15 Nov 2006.
- Benoît Tarroux, 2012. "Are equalization payments making Canadians better off? A two-dimensional dominance answer," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 19-44, March.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Paul Makdissi, 2000. "Restricted and Unrestricted Dominance Welfare, Inequality and Povery Orderings," Cahiers de recherche 00-01, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Sami Bibi, 2006. "Growth with Equity is Better for the Poor," Cahiers de recherche 0640, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shama Rangwala) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Shama Rangwala to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.