What is the Impact of Currency Unions on FDI flows? Evidence from Eurozone Countries
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of EMU on inward FDI flows to eurozone using panel data from 22 OECD countries for the period 1973-2006. The empirical findings suggest that the EMU led to a statistically significant overall increase in inward FDI flows to countries that adopted the euro as their national currency. They also show that the EMU effect on inward FDI flows differs substantially across member countries with the core countries having benefited mostly from FDI flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Macedonia in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2009_10.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision: May 2009
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uom.gr/index.php?tmima=3
bank Currency Unions; Euro; EMU; FDI.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pavlos Petroulas, 2006.
"The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment,"
Working Papers, Bank of Greece
48, Bank of Greece.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2007. "The effect of the euro on foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1468-1491, August.
- Petroulas, Pavlos, 2004. "The Effect of the Euro on Foreign Direct Investment," Research Papers in Economics, Stockholm University, Department of Economics 2004:5, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2001. "Currency unions and trade: the effect is large," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(33), pages 449-461, October.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Amiti, Mary, 1998. "New Trade Theories and Industrial Location in the EU: A Survey of Evidence," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(2), pages 45-53, Summer.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components, Boston College Department of Economics RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- K Aristotelous, 2005. "Do Currency Unions Affect Foreign Direct Investment Evidence from US FDI Flows into the European Union," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, Economic Issues, vol. 10(2), pages 1-10, September.
- Brouwer, Jelle & Paap, Richard & Viaene, Jean-Marie, 2008.
"The trade and FDI effects of EMU enlargement,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 188-208, March.
- Jelle Brouwer & Richard Paap & Jean-Marie Viaene, 2007. "The Trade and FDI Effects of EMU Enlargement," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers, Tinbergen Institute 07-077/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Jelle Brouwer & Richard Paap & Jean-Marie Viaene, 2007. "The Trade and FDI Effects of EMU Enlargement," CESifo Working Paper Series 2123, CESifo Group Munich.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.