Asymmetries in the sport-forward G10 exchange rates: an answer to an old puzzle?
AbstractThis paper provides evidence on the existence of asymmetries in the underlying loss preferences for the difference between the spot and forward nominal exchange rate. We find that, in the context of both linear and non-linear loss functions, the underlying loss preferences for monthly data are predominantly asymmetric, whilst for weekly exchange rates asymmetry tends to weaken. In a second stage we run cross section regressions to examine what variables drive this asymmetry. Interestingly, besides some macroeconomic variables, such as the growth rate and price changes, political and security risk assert some significant impact on asymmetry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Macedonia in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 2008_12.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision: Sep 2008
Asymmetric preferences; Spot-forward exchange rates; GMM estimation; Lin-Lin.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E27 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2008-09-29 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2008-09-29 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ulrich Fritsche & Christian Pierdzioch & Jan-Christoph Ruelke & Georg Stadtmann, 2012. "Forecasting the Euro: Do Forecasters Have an Asymmetric Loss Function?," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 201201, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Ulrich Fritsche & Christian Pierdzioch & Jan-Christoph Ruelke & Georg Stadtmann, 2012. "Forecasting the Brazilian Real and the Mexican Peso: Asymmetric Loss, Forecast Rationality, and Forecaster Herding," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 201202, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Jan C RÃ¼lke & Georg Stadtmann, 2012. "Forecasting the Dollar/British Pound Exchange Rate: Asymmetric Loss and Forecast Rationality," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages A213.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theodore Panagiotidis).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.