A Simple Measure of Beta-Convergence
AbstractWe propose a simple measure of beta-convergence which is not subject to Galton's fallacy. We illustrate our measure with OECD data for the period 1950-1988. We find evidence of sigma-convergence but little or no indication of beta-convergence over the period.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth in its series Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series with number n560495.
Length: 8 pages
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Beta Convergence; Sigma Convergence; Ranking; Income Distributions;
Other versions of this item:
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O50 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - General
- O51 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - U.S.; Canada
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ismael Sanz & Francisco J. Velázquez, 2001.
"The evolution and convergence of the government expenditure composition in the OECD countries: an analysis of the functional distribution,"
- Ismael Sanz & Francisco J. Velazquez, 2001. "The evolution and convergence of the government expenditure composition in the OECD countries: an analysis of the functional distribution," European Economy Group Working Papers 9, European Economy Group.
- Raghbendra Jha & Raghav Gaiha, 2004. "Undernutrition, Poverty and Growth in Rural India - A Regional Analysis," ASARC Working Papers 2004-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Liddle, Brantley, 2009. "Electricity intensity convergence in IEA/OECD countries: Aggregate and sectoral analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1470-1478, April.
- Jha, Raghbendra, 2002.
"Reducing Poverty and Inequality in India: Has Liberalization Helped?,"
Departmental Working Papers
2002-04, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Jha,R., 2000. "Reducing Poverty and Inequality in India: Has Liberalization Helped?," Research Paper 204, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- John Nixon, 2000. "Convergence of health care spending and health outcomes in the EUropean Union, 1960-95," Working Papers 183chedp, Centre for Health Economics, University of York.
- Denis Bouget, 2009. "Trends of Social Welfare Systems : From Convergence to Attractiveness, an Exploratory Approach," Working Papers hal-00441889, HAL.
- Donal O'Neill & Philippe Van Kerm, 2004.
"A New Approach For Analysing Income Convergence Across Countries,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
144, Royal Economic Society.
- O'Neill, Donal & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2004. "A new approach for analysing income convergence across countries," IRISS Working Paper Series 2004-03, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Martin Gächter & Engelbert Theurl, 2010. "Convergence of the Health Status at the Local Level: Empirical Evidence from Austria," NRN working papers 2010-09, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Francisco J. Delgado Rivero (*), . "Are The Tax Mix And The Fiscal Pressure Converging In The European Union?," Working Papers 11-06 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Carmela Martin & Francisco J. Velazquez., 2001. "An Assessment of Real Convergence of Less Developed EU Members: Lessons for the CEEC Candidates," European Economy Group Working Papers 5, European Economy Group.
- John Nixon, . "Convergence Analysis of Health Care Expenditure in the EU Countries Using Two Approaches," Discussion Papers 99/3, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Yusuf Tashrifov, 2005. "The Effects of Market Reform on Cotton Production Efficiency. The Case of Tajikistan," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec05-8, International and Development Economics.
- Carmela MartÃn & Ismael Sanz, 2003. "Real Convergence and European Integration: The Experience of the Less Developed EU Members," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 205-236, September.
- Peter Gripaios & Paul Bishop & Sarah Keast, 2000. "Differences in GDP per head in GB counties: some suggested explanations," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(9), pages 1161-1167.
- Paul Bishop & Peter Gripaios, 2004. "Earnings biases and convergence in the UK: a county level analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 33-37.
- Rosanna Nisticò & Antonella Rita Ferrara, 2011. "Indicatori Di Benessere E Convergenza Tra Le Regioni: Un’Applicazione Al Caso Italiano," Working Papers 201113, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Carmela Martín & Carlos Mulas-Granados & Ismael Sanz, 2004.
"Spatial distribution of R&D expenditure and patent applications across EU regions and its impact on economic cohesion,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
32, European Economy Group.
- Martín, Carmela & Mulas-Granados, Carlos & Sanz, Ismael, 2005. "Spatial distribution of R&D expenditure and patent applications across EU regions and its impact on economic cohesion," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 6, pages 41-61.
- Gerry Boyle; & Tom McCarthy, 1997. "Simple Measures of Convergence in Per Capita GDP: A Note on Some Further International Evidence," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n751197, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Raghbendra Jha, 2002. "Rural Poverty in India: Structure, determinants and suggestions for policy reform," ASARC Working Papers 2002-07, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Liddle, Brantley, 2010. "Revisiting world energy intensity convergence for regional differences," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(10), pages 3218-3225, October.
- Tiia Püss & Mare Viies & Kaie Kerem, 2005. "Convergence Analysis of the Structure of Social Protection Financing," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 19-27, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.