Testing for Random Effects and Spatial Lag Dependence in Panel Data Models
AbstractThis paper derives a joint Lagrande Multiplier (LM) test which simultaneously tests for the absence of spatial lag dependence and random individual effects in a panel data regression model. It turns out that this LM statistic is the sum of two standard LM statistics. The first one tests for the absence of spatial lag dependence ignoring the random individual effects, and the second one tests for the absence of random individual effects ignoring the spatial lag dependence. This paper also derives two conditional LM tests. The first one tests for the absence of random individual effects without ignoring the possible presence of spatial lag dependence. The second one tests for the absence of spatial lag dependence without ignoring the possible presence of random individual effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University in its series Center for Policy Research Working Papers with number 102.
Length: 117 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 426 Eggers Hall, Syracuse, New York USA 13244-1020
Phone: (315) 443-3114
Fax: (315) 443-1081
Web page: http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/cpr.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Panel data; spatial lag dependence; Lagrange Multiplier tests; random effects;
Other versions of this item:
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Liu, Long, 2008. "Testing for random effects and spatial lag dependence in panel data models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(18), pages 3304-3306, December.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-04-15 (Econometrics)
- NEP-GEO-2008-04-15 (Economic Geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Kelejian, Harry & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2001. "On the asymptotic distribution of the Moran I test statistic with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 219-257, September.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and Its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 239-53, January.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP -412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Won Koh, 2002.
"Testing Panel Data Regression Models with Spatial Error Correlation,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B6-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Koh, Won, 2003. "Testing panel data regression models with spatial error correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 123-150, November.
- S. Bouayad Agha & Nadine Turpin & Lionel Védrine, 2010.
"Fostering the potential endogenous development of European regions: a spatial dynamic panel data analysis of the Cohesion Policy on regional convergence over the period 1980-2005,"
- Salima Bouayad-Agha & Nadine Turpin & Lionel Védrine, 2010. "Fostering the potential endogenous development of European regions: a spatial dynamic panel data analysis of the Cohesion Policy on regional convergence over the period 1980-2005," TEPP Working Paper 2010-17, TEPP.
- Debarsy, Nicolas & Ertur, Cem, 2010.
"Testing for spatial autocorrelation in a fixed effects panel data model,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 453-470, November.
- Nicolas Debarsy & Cem Ertur, 2009. "Testing for Spatial Autocorrelation in a Fixed Effects Panel Data Model," Post-Print halshs-00414133, HAL.
- Baylis, Katherine R. & Paulson, Nicholas D. & Piras, Gianfranco, 2011. "Spatial Approaches to Panel Data in Agricultural Economics: A Climate Change Application," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(03), August.
- He, Ming & Lin, Kuan-Pin, 2013. "Locally adjusted LM test for spatial dependence in fixed effects panel data models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 59-63.
- Bruno Lanz & Thomas F. Rutherford & John E. Tilton, 2013.
"Subglobal Climate Agreements and Energy-intensive Activities: An Evaluation of Carbon Leakage in the Copper Industry,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 254-279, 03.
- Bruno Lanz & Thomas F. Rutherford & John E. Tilton, 2013. "Subglobal climate agreements and energy-intensive activities: An evaluation of carbon leakage in the copper industry," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 13/174, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Millo, Giovanni, 2014. "Maximum likelihood estimation of spatially and serially correlated panels with random effects," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 914-933.
- Franziska Lottmann, 2012. "Regional Unemployment in Germany: a spatial panel data analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa12p53, European Regional Science Association.
- Franziska Lottmann, 2012. "Explaining regional unemployment differences in Germany: a spatial panel data analysis," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2012-026, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Gianfranco Piras & Ingmar R. Prucha, 2014. "On the Finite Sample Properties of Pre-Test Estimators of Spatial Models," CESifo Working Paper Series 4725, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gianfranco Piras & Ingmar R. Prucha, 2013. "On the Finite Sample Properties of Pre-test Estimators of Spatial Models," Working Papers 201307, Regional Research Institute, West Virginia University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kelly Bogart) or (Katrina Wingle).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.