Assessing the Impact of the 2007 Tax Reform on Povert and Inequality in Uruguay
AbstractIn the context of a sharp rise in the incidence of poverty and increasing inequality since the end of the last decade, a major tax reform was put into place in mid-2007 with the explicit goals of promoting both greater efficiency and equity in the Uruguayan tax system. Overall, the reform substantially increased direct taxes on personal income by increasing marginal rates, lowered indirect taxes and direct taxes on firms, harmonized employer contributions to social security across sectors and eliminated some highly distortionary taxes. The joint effects of these changes on the macroeconomic equilibrium, labour markets, and poverty and inequality are assessed using a top-down static CGE, a microsimulation approach. It is shown that full implementation of the tax reform has substantial general equilibrium effects which generally strengthen the reduction of poverty incidences, poverty gaps and the severity of poverty exclusively due to the introduction of the personal income tax (without behavioural responses). Regarding poverty, the general equilibrium effects are significantly greater than the direct effects. Overall, we estimate a one-point reduction of the Gini index due to the reform.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by PEP-PMMA in its series Working Papers PMMA with number 2011-14.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pavillon J.A. De Seve, Québec, Québec, G1V 0A6
Phone: 1-418-656-2131, ext. 2697
Web page: http://www.pep-net.org
More information through EDIRC
tax Reform; CGE models; Microsimulations; Poverty; Inequality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2011-10-15 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2011-10-15 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maria Ines Terra & Marisa Bucheli & Silvia Laens & Carmen Estrades, 2006.
"The Effects of Increasing Openness and Integration to the MERCOSUR on the Uruguayan Labour Market: a CGE Modelling Analysis,"
Working Papers MPIA
- Maria Inés Terra & Marisa Bucheli & Silvia Laens & Carmen Estrades, 2005. "The effects of increasing openness and integration to the MERCOSUR on the Uruguayan labour market. A CGE modeling analysis," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1205, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Marisa Carla Bucheli Anaya & Cecilia González Rodríguez-Villamil, 2012.
"An estimation of the wage curve for Uruguay,"
REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA,
UN - RCE - CID.
- Almeida dos Reis, Jose Guilherme & Paes de Barros, Ricardo, 1991. "Wage inequality and the distribution of education : A study of the evolution of regional differences in inequality in metropolitan Brazil," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 117-143, July.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1990.
"The Wage Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
3181, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Manuel Flores & Adriana Cassoni, 2010. "Armington Elasticities: Estimates for Uruguayan Manufacturing Sectors," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0710, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Verónica Amarante & Rodrigo Arim & Mónica Rubio & Andrea Vigorito, 2005. "Pobreza, red de protección social y situación de la infancia en Uruguay," IDB Publications 25658, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Teguh Dartanto, 2012. "The 2008 Corporate Income Tax Reform and Its Contribution to Poverty Reduction in Indonesia," Working Papers in Economics and Business 201203, Faculty of Economics, University of Indonesia, revised Apr 2012.
- Bruno Martorano, 2012. "The Impact of Uruguay’s 2007 Tax Reform on Equity and Efficiency," Working Papers - Economics wp2012_06.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.