On Risk Aversion, Classical Demand Theory, and KM Preferences
AbstractBuilding on Kihlstrom and Mirman (1974)’s formulation of risk aversion in the case of multidimensional utility functions, we study the effect of risk aversion on optimal behavior in a general consumer’s maximization problem under uncertainty. We completely characterize the relationship between changes in risk aversion and classical demand theory. We show that the effect of risk aversion on optimal behavior depends on the income and substitution effects. Moreover, the effect of risk aversion is determined not by the riskiness of the risky good, but rather the riskiness of the utility gamble associated with each decision.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 1132.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Classical Demand Theory; Consumer Choice; Income and Substition Effects; Risk Aversion;
Other versions of this item:
- Leonard Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2014. "On risk aversion, classical demand theory, and KM preferences," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 51-66, February.
- D01 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Microeconomic Behavior: Underlying Principles
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2011-11-01 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MIC-2011-11-01 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-UPT-2011-11-01 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Eliakim, 1981. "A note on a comparative statics theorem for choice under risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 318-319, October.
- Bommier, Antoine & Chassagnon, Arnold & Le Grand, François, 2012.
"Comparative risk aversion: A formal approach with applications to saving behavior,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1614-1641.
- Antoine Bommier & Arnold Chassagnon & François Le Grand, 2010. "Comparative Risk Aversion: A Formal Approach with Applications to Saving Behaviors," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 10/134, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Bommier, Antoine & Chassagnon, Arnold & Le Grand, François, 2010. "Comparative Risk Aversion: A Formal Approach with Applications to Savings Behaviors," TSE Working Papers 10-141, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Antoine Bommier & Arnold Chassagnon & François Legrand, 2010. "Comparative Risk Aversion: A Formal Approach with Applications to Savings Behaviors," Working Papers hal-00451281, HAL.
- Le Grand, François & Chassagnon, Arnold & Bommier, Antoine, 2012. "Comparative Risk Aversion: A Formal Approach with Applications to Saving Behaviors," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4434, Paris Dauphine University.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-69, July.
- Kreps, David M & Porteus, Evan L, 1978.
"Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 185-200, January.
- David M Kreps & Evan L Porteus, 1978. "Temporal Resolution of Uncertainty and Dynamic Choice Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 625018000000000009, David K. Levine.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "Some Stronger Measures of Risk Aversion in the Small and the Large with Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 621-38, May.
- Kraus, Marvin, 1979. "A comparative statics theorem for choice under risk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 510-517, December.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1974. "Risk aversion with many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 361-388, July.
- Elena Antoniadou & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2013. "The Income Effect under Uncertainty: a Slutsky-Like Decomposition with Risk Aversion," Cahiers de recherche 1306, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.