Career Starts and the Male-Female Wage Gap
AbstractThe paper focuses on the early career patterns of young male and female workers. It investigates potential dynamic links between statistical discrimination, mobility, tenure and wage profiles. The model assumes that it is more costly for an employer to assess female workers' productivity and that the noise/signal ratio tapers off more rapidly for male workers. These two assumptions yield numerous theoretical predictions pertaining to gender wage gaps. These are tested using French data. It turns out most predictions are supported by the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 0330.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Gender wage gap; job transitions; mover-stayer model;
Other versions of this item:
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- J71 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Discrimination - - - Hiring and Firing
- J41 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Labor Contracts
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-08-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2003-08-17 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LTV-2003-08-17 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carole Brunet & Nathalie Havet, 2011.
"Homeownership and job-match quality in France,"
- Carole Brunet & Nathalie Havet, 2008.
"Propriété immobilière et déqualification dans l'emploi,"
- Carole Brunet & Nathalie Havet, 2009. "Propriété immobilière et déqualification dans l'emploi," Post-Print halshs-00406500, HAL.
- Carole Brunet & Nathalie Havet, 2008. "Propriété immobilière et déqualification dans l’emploi," Working Papers 0807, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.