Does Corporate Governance Matter in Deposit Insurance? DI and Moral Hazard in Joint Stock and Mutual Financial Intermediaries
AbstractIn this paper, we analyze the differences of effects of a deposit insurance schemes on financial cooperative and joint stock banks risk taking. We develop a methodology which includes the specifics of the utility function for the financial cooperative and we compare the results to a similar profit maximizing joint stock bank. We find that the introduction of deposit insurance does in fact increase optimal risk level for the financial cooperative but less so than the stock bank. Thus, corporate governance does matter in the level of risk exposure of a deposit insurance scheme. Further, like in joint stock banks, this moral hazard can be curbed through incentives such as risk adjusted premias, risk adjusted regulatory capital and possibly reserve requirements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 0206.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2003-04-13 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2003-04-13 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Greenbaum, Stuart I & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992.
" Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 227-45, March.
- Kendall, Sarah B., 1992. "A note on the existence and characteristics of fair deposit insurance premia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 289-297, April.
- Roberts, Kevin W. S., 1977. "Voting over income tax schedules," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 329-340, December.
- Smith, Donald J & Cargill, Thomas F & Meyer, Robert A, 1981. "An Economic Theory of a Credit Union," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 519-28, May.
- Karels, Gordon V. & McClatchey, Christine A., 1999. "Deposit insurance and risk-taking behavior in the credit union industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 105-134, January.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "An analytic derivation of the cost of deposit insurance and loan guarantees An application of modern option pricing theory," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-11, June.
- Tybout, James R, 1984. "Interest Control and Credit Allocation in Developing Countries," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 474-87, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-51, September.
- Hassan, M. Kabir & Karels, Gordon V. & Peterson, Manfred O., 1994. "Deposit insurance, market discipline and off-balance sheet banking risk of large U.S. commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 575-593, May.
- Lee, Wai Sing & Kwok, Chuck C. Y., 2000. "Domestic and international practice of deposit insurance: a survey," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 29-62, January.
- Kendall, Sarah B. & Levonian, Mark E., 1991. "A simple approach to better deposit insurance pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 999-1018, September.
- Hart, Oliver & Moore, John, 1996.
"The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Cooperatives versus Outside Ownership,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 53-69, Winter.
- Oliver Hart & John Moore, 1996. "The Governance of Exchanges: Members' Co-operatives Versus Outside Ownership," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /1996/292, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Kambhu, John, 1990. "Concealment of Risk and Regulation of Bank Risk Taking," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 397-414, December.
- Nedelchev, Miroslav, 2010.
"Корпоративно Управление На Финансови Групи (Спазвай И Обяснявай)
[Corporate Governance of Financial Groups (Comply and Explain)]," MPRA Paper 52249, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.