Analyzing Trade Liberalization Effect in the Egg Sector Using a Dynamic Gravity Model
AbstractThis study analyzes the effects of different liberalization scenarios in the international trade of eggs and egg products. We use a dynamic gravity model that takes into account the observed persistence of trading partners. The estimated parameters of the gravity model serve to quantify the impact of various liberalization scenarios on the probability of importing (extensive margin) and on trade volumes (intensive margin). The results indicate that even in the context of aggressive trade liberalization, trade gains at the extensive margin will be modest. Gains at the intensive margin of trade are present even in the context of partial liberalization - Doha type - of trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CREATE in its series Cahiers de recherche CREATE with number 2012-6.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Faculté des sciences de l'agriculture et de l'alimentation, Pavillon Paul-Comtois, 2425 rue de l'Agriculture, local 4424, Québec, Qc, G1V 0A6
Phone: 418-656-2131 poste 5098
Web page: http://www.create.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
Eggs and eggs products; persistence in trade; trade liberalization; gravity model; random-effects dynamic Probit; autoregressive panel;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Chaney, 2008. "Distorted Gravity: The Intensive and Extensive Margins of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1707-21, September.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2006.
"Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 142(2), pages 207-232, July.
- Mohamed Hedi Bchir & Sébastien Jean & David Laborde, 2005. "Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas," Working Papers 2005-18, CEPII research center.
- Bchir, Mohamed Hedi & Jean, Sebastien & Laborde, David, 2005. "Binding Overhang and Tariff-Cutting Formulas," Working Papers 18873, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2011.
"Structural Estimation of Gravity Models with Path-Dependent Market Entry,"
FIW Research Reports series
- Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2011. "Structural Estimation of Gravity Models with Path-dependent Market Entry," CEPR Discussion Papers 8458, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claudio Paiva, 2005.
"Assessing Protectionism and Subsidies in Agriculture: A Gravity Approach,"
IMF Working Papers
05/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Claudio Paiva, 2008. "Assessing protectionism and subsidies in agriculture-a gravity approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(5), pages 628-640.
- Lota D. Tamini & Jean-Philippe Gervais & Bruno Larue, 2010. "Trade liberalisation effects on agricultural goods at different processing stages," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 37(4), pages 453-477, December.
- Peter Egger, 2002.
"An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 297-312, 02.
- Peter Egger, . "An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials," WIFO Working Papers 141, WIFO.
- Ivan T. Kandilov & Xiaoyong Zheng, 2011. "The impact of entry costs on export market participation in agriculture," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(5), pages 531-546, 09.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Susanto, Dwi & Rosson, C. Parr, III & Adcock, Flynn J., 2007. "Trade Creation and Trade Diversion in the North American Free Trade Agreement: The Case of the Agricultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 39(01), April.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2004.
"The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade,"
Development Working Papers
186, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Anne-Célia Disdier & Keith Head, 2008. "The Puzzling Persistence of the Distance Effect on Bilateral Trade," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Douglas L. Campbell, 2010.
"History, Culture, and Trade: A Dynamic Gravity Approach,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2010_26, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Campbell, Douglas L., 2010. "History, culture, and trade: a dynamic gravity approach," MPRA Paper 24014, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2008.
"Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 441-487, 05.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2007. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," NBER Working Papers 12927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rubinstein, Yona & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," Scholarly Articles 3228230, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafajlovic, Juanita & Cardwell, Ryan T., 2010. "The Implications Of The Wto Negotiations On The Canadian Chicken Market: Two Representations Of Chicken And Stochastic World Prices," Working Papers 95814, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Rubén Segura-Cayuela & Josep M. Vilarrubia, 2008. "Uncertainty and entry into export markets," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0811, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2002.
"Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP18/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2005. "Simple solutions to the initial conditions problem in dynamic, nonlinear panel data models with unobserved heterogeneity," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 39-54.
- Luca De Benedictis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2004.
"Trade Potentials In Gravity Panel Data Models,"
ISAE Working Papers
44, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Pascal L. Ghazalian & Bruno Larue & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2009. "Exporting to new destinations and the effects of tariffs: the case of meat commodities," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(6), pages 701-714, November.
- Jason H. Grant & Thomas W. Hertel & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2007. "Dairy Tariff-Quota Liberalization: Contrasting Bilateral and Most Favored Nation Reform Options," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(3), pages 673-684.
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Olivier Bonroy & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2008. "Dairy Trade Liberalization Impacts in Canada," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 56(3), pages 313-335, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.