The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme
AbstractThis paper examines the background to the collapse of price stabilization under the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme in 1991-92 and draws out implications for the feasibility of goverment backed price stabilization schemes. Optimal control techniques are applied to the problem of valuing stabilization stockpiles. Option pricing techniques are used to elucidate the incentives facing the industry and to explain why the industry adopted policies that drove the scheme to its collapse. Copyright 1994 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, La Trobe University in its series Working Papers with number 1992.17 EDIRC Provider-Institution: RePEc:edi:smlatau.
Date of creation: 1992
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Bardsley, Peter, 1994. "The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1087-1105, September.
- Peter Bardsley, 1992. "The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme," Working Papers 1992.17, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- 266 â Supply and demand: The wool crisis
by David Pannell in Pannell Discussions on 2014-05-05 15:13:27
- Paul Cashin & Hong Liang & C. John McDermott, 2000.
"How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 2.
- Hong Liang & C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin, 1999. "How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?," IMF Working Papers 99/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Jackson, Elizabeth & Quaddus, Mohammed & Islam, Nazrul & Stanton, John & Hoque, Zohurul, 2007. "A Multi-Disciplinary Approach For Determining Adoption Of Agricultural Price Risk Management Strategies," 81st Annual Conference, April 2-4, 2007, Reading University 7985, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Donald F. Larson & Julian Lampietti & Christophe Gouel & Carlo Cafiero & John Roberts, 2014.
"Food security and storage in the Middle East and North Africa,"
253354, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Larson, Donald F. & Lampietti, Julian & Gouel, Christophe & Cafiero, Carlo & Roberts, John, 2012. "Food security and storage in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6031, The World Bank.
- Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie), 2000. "Stability of price premiums for wool," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 123621, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Bardsley, Peter & Olekalns, Nilss, 1996.
"Wool Price Variability In The Long Run,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(01), April.
- Peter Bardsley & Nilss Olekalns, 1996. "Wool Price Variability In The Long Run," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(1), pages 51-61, 04.
- Wright, Brian, 2009.
"International grain reserves and other instruments to address volatility in grain markets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5028, The World Bank.
- Brian D. Wright, 2012. "International Grain Reserves And Other Instruments to Address Volatility in Grain Markets," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 27(2), pages 222-260, August.
- Christophe Gouel, 2013.
"Food Price Volatility and Domestic Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries,"
in: The Economics of Food Price Volatility
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gouel, Christophe, 2013. "Food price volatility and domestic stabilization policies in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6393, The World Bank.
- Christophe Gouel, 2013. "Food Price Volatility and Domestic Stabilization Policies in Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 18934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003.
"Commodity market reform in Africa: some recent experience,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 83-115, March.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Baffes, John & Larson, Donald F. & Varangis, Panos, 2003. "Commodity market reform in Africa : some recent experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2995, The World Bank.
- Smith, Vincent H., 1998. "Measuring the benefits of social science research:," Impact assessments 2, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Waschik, Robert & Fraser, Iain, 2007.
"A computable general equilibrium analysis of export taxes in the Australian wool industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 712-736, July.
- Fraser, Iain & Waschik, Robert, 2006. "A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Export Taxes in the Australian Wool Industry," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139733, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Leishman, David & Menkhaus, Dale J. & Whipple, Glen D., 1999. "Revealed Comparative Advantage And The Measurement Of International Competitiveness For Agricultural Commodities: An Empirical Analysis Of Wool Exporters," 1999 Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 1999, Fargo, ND 35691, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Chang, Hui-Shung (Christie), 2000. "A Cointegration Analysis of Wool Prices," Working Papers 12929, University of New England, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Scoglio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.