Economic Impact of a Potential Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Between the European Union and the Commonwealth of Independent States
AbstractWe evaluate the effects of potential measures to liberalize trade between the EU and the CIS using a computable general equilibrium (CGE) model. We look at the CIS as an aggregate and we also present results for individual CIS countries. Our CGE model takes different underlying industry specific market structures and elasticities into account. Furthermore, the model incorporates estimated non-tariff trade barriers to trade in services. The results are compared to a baseline that incorporates recent developments in the trade policy environment, i.e. the phase out of ATC, enlargement of the EU and CIS accessions to the WTO. The analysis takes agricultural liberalization, liberalization in industrial tariffs, and liberalization in services trade as well as trade facilitation measures into account. While there is important heterogeneity in the impact of FTAs on individual countries, the results indicate that the CIS as a whole would experience a negative income effect if the FTA would be limited only to trade in goods. This is due to strong trade diversion effects. The CIS states have high tariffs, and these would remain against third countries under an FTA. This implies that the CIS would most likely to benefit from an FTA with the EU if it would incorporate deeper forms of integration not being limited to liberalization of tariffs in goods, or if it is accompanied by a general reduction in CIS tariffs against third countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institue for International and Development Economics in its series IIDE Discussion Papers with number 20090805.
Length: 119 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2009
Date of revision:
CGE; EU-CIS Free Trade Area; Russia; Ukraine; CIS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2009-08-30 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-EEC-2009-08-30 (European Economics)
- NEP-INT-2009-08-30 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2009-08-30 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miriam Frey & Zoryana Olekseyuk, 2014. "A general equilibrium evaluation of the fiscal costs of trade liberalization in Ukraine," Empirica, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 505-540, August.
- Miriam Frey & Zoryana Olekseyuk, 2011.
"The EU-Ukraine trade liberalization: How much do the costs of tariff elimination matter?,"
308, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies), revised Feb 2013.
- Miriam Frey & Zoryana Olekseyuk, 2013. "The EU-Ukraine trade liberalization: How much do the costs of tariff elimination matter?," FIW Working Paper series 103, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (iide webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.