Wer trägt bei der Jahrestagung des Vereins für Socialpolitik vor?
AbstractThe Annual Congress of the German Economic Association has become one of the largest national meetings of professional economists. The contributed papers at the Congress undergo a rigorous and competitive selection procedure where only about one half of all submissions are accepted for presentation. We analyze this selection process based on data from the Congresses held between 2005 and 2008. We find that the acceptance decision depends on the previous publication record of the submitting author and on the institution with which (s)he is affiliated. Moreover, the status of being a professor increases the likelihood of acceptance, whereas completion of a Ph.D.~degree, or even a habilitation, does not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Munich, Department of Economics in its series Discussion Papers in Economics with number 8506.
Date of creation: 17 Dec 2008
Date of revision:
German Economic Association; selection process;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A11 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Role of Economics; Role of Economists
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friedrich Schneider, 2008. "Special Issue on the Economics of the Economics Profession: Editorial," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 397-401, November.
- Klaus Ritzberger, 2008. "A Ranking of Journals in Economics and Related Fields," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 402-430, November.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Laurent Linnemer, 2003. "Where are the Economists Who Publish? Publication Concentration and Rankings in Europe Based on Cumulative Publications," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(6), pages 1250-1308, December.
- Susanne Warning & Christian Wiermann & Günther G. Schulze, 2008.
"What and how long does it take to get tenure? The Case of Economics and Business Administration in Austria, Germany and Switzerland?,"
Discussion Paper Series
6, Department of International Economic Policy, University of Freiburg, revised Jul 2008.
- Günther G. Schulze & Susanne Warning & Christian Wiermann, 2008. "What and How Long Does It Take to Get Tenure? The Case of Economics and Business Administration in Austria, Germany and Switzerland," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 473-505, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Frank).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.