Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The distribution of seigniorage wealth in EMU
AbstractThe European Monetary Union (EMU) will involve socialization of the existing seigniorage wealth of the national central banks. This socialization will create windfall gains for countries with relatively low monetary bases such as France and the UK and it will be disadvantageous for countries like Germany, Austria, Spain or the Netherlands which will suffer per capita wealth losses of between 406 and 182 ecus. The paper quantifies the gains and losses in seigniorage wealth under alternative membership and bank regulation scenarios.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Munich, Department of Economics in its series Munich Reprints in Economics with number 19567.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in European Journal of Political Economy 4 13(1997): pp. 665-689
Other versions of this item:
- Feist, Holger & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1747, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Holger Feist, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU," NBER Working Papers 6072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sibert, Anne, 1994. "The allocation of seigniorage in a common currency area," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 111-122, August.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1996.
"International Implications of German Unification,"
NBER Working Papers
5839, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tori, Cynthia Royal, 1997. "Monetary Unions and the Effects of Seigniorage Sharing," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 193-204, January.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Frank).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.