How to measure patent thickets – a novel approach
AbstractThe existing literature identifies patent thickets indirectly. In this paper we propose a novel measure based on patent citations which allows us to measure the density of patent thickets directly. We discuss the algorithm which generates the measure and present descriptive results validating it. Moreover, we identify technology areas which are particularly impacted by patent thickets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Munich, Munich School of Management in its series Discussion Papers in Business Administration with number 10962.
Date of creation: 15 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
patenting; patent thickets; patent portfolio races; complexity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property Rights
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danguy, Jérôme & de Rassenfosse, Gaétan & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2010.
"The R&D-patent relationship: An industry perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Danguy, Jérôme & de Rassenfosse, Gaétan & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2010. "The R&D-patent relationship: An industry perspective," EIB Papers 7/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Jérôme Danguy & Gaétan de Rassenfosse & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2010. "The R&D‐Patent relationship: An Industry Perspective," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-038, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dietmar Harhoff & Georg von Graevenitz & Stefan Wagner, 2012.
"Conflict resolution, public goods and patent thickets,"
ESMT Research Working Papers
ESMT-12-04 (R1), ESMT European School of Management and Technology, revised 25 Mar 2013.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & von Graevenitz, Georg & Wagner, Stefan, 2013. "Conflict Resolution, Public Goods and Patent Thickets," CEPR Discussion Papers 9468, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Yassine Lefouili, 2013. "Cross-Licensing and Competition," Working Papers 13-11, NET Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Philipp Beltz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.