How to measure patent thickets – a novel approach
AbstractThe existing literature identifies patent thickets indirectly. In this paper we propose a novel measure based on patent citations which allows us to measure the density of patent thickets directly. We discuss the algorithm which generates the measure and present descriptive results validating it. Moreover, we identify technology areas which are particularly impacted by patent thickets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Munich, Munich School of Management in its series Discussion Papers in Business Administration with number 10962.
Date of creation: 15 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
patenting; patent thickets; patent portfolio races; complexity;
Other versions of this item:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Danguy, Jérôme & de Rassenfosse, Gaétan & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2010.
"The R&D-patent relationship: An industry perspective,"
7/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Danguy, Jérôme & de Rassenfosse, Gaétan & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2010. "The R&D-patent relationship: An industry perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 8145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jérôme Danguy & Gaétan de Rassenfosse & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2010. "The R&D‐Patent relationship: An Industry Perspective," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2010-038, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dietmar Harhoff & Georg von Graevenitz & Stefan Wagner, 2014.
"Conflict Resolution, Public Goods and Patent Thickets,"
49, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Dietmar Harhoff & Georg von Graevenitz & Stefan Wagner, 2012. "Conflict resolution, public goods and patent thickets," ESMT Research Working Papers ESMT-12-04 (R1), ESMT European School of Management and Technology, revised 25 Mar 2013.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & von Graevenitz, Georg & Wagner, Stefan, 2013. "Conflict Resolution, Public Goods and Patent Thickets," CEPR Discussion Papers 9468, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dr Chiara Rosazza Bondibene, 2012. "A Study of Patent Thickets," NIESR Discussion Papers 11129, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Christian Le Bas & Julien Pénin, 2014. "Patents and innovation : Are the brakes broken, or how to restore patents’ dynamic efficiency ?," Working Papers of BETA 2014-02, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Fischer, Timo & Henkel, Joachim, 2012. "Patent trolls on markets for technology – An empirical analysis of NPEs’ patent acquisitions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(9), pages 1519-1533.
- Doh-Shin Jeon & Yassine Lefouili, 2013. "Cross-Licensing and Competition," Working Papers 13-11, NET Institute.
- Jérôme Danguy & Gaétan de Rassenfosse & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2013.
"On the Origins of the Worldwide Surge in Patenting: An Industry Perspective on the R&D-Patent Relationship,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2013n15, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Jérôme Danguy & Gaétan de Rassenfosse & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2013. "On the Origins of the Worldwide Surge in Patenting: An Industry Perspective on the R&D-patent Relationship," Working Papers ECARES 2013/143016, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- NAGAOKA Sadao & NISHIMURA Yoichiro, 2014. "Complementarity, Fragmentation, and the Effects of Patent Thickets," Discussion papers 14001, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Schwiebacher, Franz, 2013. "Does fragmented or heterogeneous IP ownership stifle investments in innovation?," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-096, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Wen Wen & Marco Ceccagnoli & Chris Forman, 2013. "Patent Commons, Thickets, and Open Source Software Entry by Start-Up Firms," NBER Working Papers 19394, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt & Susanne Prantl, 2013. "Patent Rights, Product Market Reforms, and Innovation," NBER Working Papers 18854, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn Hall & Christian Helmers & Mark Rogers & Vania Sena, 2014. "The Choice between Formal and Informal Intellectual Property: A Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 52(2), pages 375-423, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Philipp Beltz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.