Why does the WTO have an Antidumping Agreement?
AbstractThis paper develops a model that offers a plausible interpretation for the empirical observation of diffusion of antidumping (AD) laws amongst WTO members. Contrary to the regnant belief that this proliferation is driven mainly by retaliatory motives, our model shows that adoption and use of AD laws involve a cooperative act amongst WTO members in an infinite horizon game. The diffusion of AD laws need not result in a Prisonner.s dilemma. Instead we show that the AD agreement of the WTO can serve as a risk-sharing vehicle amongst WTO members in response to adverse shocks incurred by domestic producers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 25310.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Antidumping; non-cooperative games; WTO; proliferation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F11 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Neoclassical Models of Trade
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F16 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Labor Market Interactions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murray, Tracy & Turdaliev, Nurlan, 1999. "Universal Dumping of Homogeneous Products," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 580-89, November.
- Vandenbussche, Hylke & Veugelers, Reinhilde & Konings, Jozef, 2001. "Unionization and European Antidumping Protection," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(2), pages 297-317, April.
- Alberto Martin & Wouter Vergote, 2005.
"On the role of retaliation in trade agreements,"
Economics Working Papers
914, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 2008.
- MARTIN, Alberto & VERGOTE, Wouter, . "On the role of retaliation in trade agreements," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- MARTIN, Alberto & VERGOTE, Wouter, 2007. "On the role of retaliation in trade agreements," CORE Discussion Papers 2007089, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Chad P. Bown, 2005.
"Trade Remedies and World Trade Organization Dispute Settlement: Why Are So Few Challenged?,"
The Journal of Legal Studies,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(2), pages 515-555, 06.
- Bown, Chad P., 2005. "Trade remedies and World Trade Organization dispute settlement : Why are so few challenged?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3540, The World Bank.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 2002.
"Unilateralism in a Multilateral World,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(479), pages 266-292, April.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982.
"A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade,"
513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980. "A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade," Working Papers 405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2008.
"Heterogeneous responses of firms to trade protection,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 371-383, December.
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2008. "Heterogeneous Responses of Firms to Trade Protection," CEPR Discussion Papers 6724, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartigan, James C, 2002. "Endogenous Obfuscation in Injury Investigations," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(275), pages 505-23, August.
- Mansfield, Edward D. & Milner, Helen V. & Rosendorff, B. Peter, 2002. "Why Democracies Cooperate More: Electoral Control and International Trade Agreements," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 56(03), pages 477-513, June.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 1988.
"A Theory of Managed Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
2756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin Liebman, 2004. "ITC voting behavior on sunset reviews," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 446-475, September.
- Robert M. Feinberg & Kara M. Olson, 2004.
"The Spread of Antidumping Regimes and the Role of Retaliation in Filings,"
- Robert M. Feinberg & Kara M. Reynolds, 2006. "The Spread of Antidumping Regimes and the Role of Retaliation in Filings," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 877â890, April.
- Michael O. Moore, 2006. "An Econometric Analysis of U.S. Antidumping Sunset Review Decisions," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(1), pages 122-150, April.
- Hylke VANDENBUSSCHE & Christian VIEGELAHN, 2011. "No Protectionist Surprises: EU Antidumping Policy Before and During the Great Recession," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.