Trade, Development, and the Political Economy of Public Standards
AbstractThis paper presents a political economy model of public standards in an open economy model. We use the model to derive the political optimum and to analyze different factors that have an influence on this political equilibrium. The paper discusses how the level of development influences the political equilibrium. We also analyze the relation between trade and the political equilibrium and compare this political outcome with the social optimum to identify under which cases `under-standardization?or `over-standardization?results, and which standards can be labeled as (producer)protectionist measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 23609.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
standards; political economy; trade; development;
Other versions of this item:
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandemoortele, Thijs, 2009. "Trade, Development, and the Political Economy of Public Standards," 113th Seminar, September 3-6, 2009, Chania, Crete, Greece 58139, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - Other
- H49 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Other
- L15 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Information and Product Quality
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-04-13 (Development)
- NEP-IPR-2009-04-13 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-POL-2009-04-13 (Positive Political Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gaeta, Davide & Begalli, Diego & Corsinovi, Paola, 2012. "The alignment of European Law in pre-candidate countries: the case of Bosnia and Herzegovina wine law," 126th Seminar, June 27-29, 2012, Capri, Italy 126100, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.