Growing export performance of transition economies: EU market access versus supply capacity factors
AbstractRemarkable growth of export performance of transition economies has been one of the most outstanding features of the transition and EU integration processes. The paper looks at the reasons behind this phenomenon. Following Redding and Venables (2003, 2004), and Fugazza (2004), we distinguish between foreign/EU market access and internal supply capacity factors. EU market access has been of great importance for export performance but does not explain the inter country differences. Inter country differences in export performance are explained by internal supply capacity factors, where stable institutional setup, structural reforms, and targeted FDI are in the forefront.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 20208.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
export performance; transition economies of Central and Eastern Europe; (EU) market access; supply capacity; institutional setup; FDI;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- P30 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2008-03-15 (European Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2008-03-15 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goran Nikolić, 2013. "Is There A Structural Improvement In The Merchandise Exports Of The Balkan Countries In The Period 2000-2012?," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 58(196), pages 99-132, January â.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.