Insider Power and Wage Determination in Bulgaria An Econometric Investigation
AbstractUsing a unique 3-digit firm level data set of all medium and large sized manufacturing enterprises in Bulgaria covering the years 1997/1998, we investigate how wage determination is related to ownership status. Building on a slightly modified version of the Right-To-Manage Model, our pooled OLS, panel and first-differences TSLS estimates show statistically significant differences in the share of rents taken by workers employed in state, private domestic and foreign firms. Taking account of firm heterogeneity, we find that rent sharing is nearly non-existent in foreign-owned firms while the level of pay is higher compared to state-owned companies. Further, rent sharing seems to be highly pronounced in state-owned enterprises while on average domestically private-owned companies are characterised by less rent sharing. Overall, our robustness checks confirm these findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 11101.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Bulgarian Labour Market; Enterprise Behaviour; Insider Effects; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- J30 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - General
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-MFD-2003-11-03 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2003-11-03 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, S. & Wadhwani, S., 1989.
"Insider Forces And Wage Determination,"
334, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Nickell, S. & Wadhwani, S., 1989. "Insider Forces And Wage Determination," Economics Series Working Papers 9972, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Nickell, Stephen & Wadhwani, Sushil B, 1989. "Insider Forces and Wage Determination," CEPR Discussion Papers 310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baily, Martin Neil, 1974. "Wages and Employment under Uncertain Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 37-50, January.
- Nickell, Stephen & Kong, Paul, 1992. "An investigation into the power of insiders in wage determination," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1573-1599, December.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J & Sanfey, Peter, 1996.
"Wages, Profits, and Rent-Sharing,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(1), pages 227-51, February.
- Abowd, John M & Lemieux, Thomas, 1993.
"The Effects of Product Market Competition on Collective Bargaining Agreements: The Case of Foreign Competition in Canada,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 983-1014, November.
- John M. Abowd & Thomas Lemieux, 1991. "The Effects of Product Market Competition on Collective Bargaining Agreements: The Case of Foreign Competition in Canada," NBER Working Papers 3808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard A. Lester, 1952. "A range theory of wage differentials," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 5(4), pages 483-500, July.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Snower, Dennis J., 1987. "Union activity, unemployment persistence and wage-employment ratchets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 157-167.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1975. "Implicit Contracts and Underemployment Equilibria," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1183-1202, December.
- Karoly Fazekas & Gabor Kezdi (ed.), 2007. "The Hungarian Labour Market 2007," The Hungarian Labour Market Yearbooks, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, number 2007, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.