Managing the Impact of Volatility in International Capital Markets in an Uncertain World
AbstractInternational financial flows are the propagation mechanism for transmitting financial instability across borders; they are also the source of unsustainable external debt. Managing volatility thus requires institutions that promote domestic financial stability, ensure that domestic instability is contained, and guarantee that international institutions and rules of the game are not themselves a cause of volatility. This paper analyzes proposals to increase stability in domestic markets, in international markets, and in the structure of the international financial system from the point of view of Hyman P. Minsky's financial instability hypothesis, and outlines how each of these three channels can produce financial fragility that lays the system open to financial instability and financial crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_558.
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-04-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-FDG-2009-04-13 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-PKE-2009-04-13 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cimoli, Mario & Porcile, Gabriel, 2011.
"Tecnologia, heterogeneidad y crecimiento: una caja de herramientas estructuralista
[Technology, heterogeneity and Growth: A Structuralist Toolbox]," MPRA Paper 33801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mario Cimoli & Gabriel Porcile, 2011. "Tecnología, heterogeneidad y crecimiento: un caja de herramientas estructuralista," Working Papers 0119, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Mario Tonveronachi & Elisabetta Montanaro, 2009. "Some preliminary proposals for re-regulating financial systems," Department of Economics University of Siena 553, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Mario Tonveronachi, 2010. "Financial innovation and system design," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 63(253), pages 131-144.
- repec:psl:pslqrr:2010:7 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:psl:pslqrr:2010:15 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.