Small Is Beautiful: Evidence of an Inverse Relationship between Farm Size and Yield in Turkey
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between farm size and yield per acre in Turkey using heretofore untapped data from a 2002 farm-level survey of 5,003 rural households. After controlling for village, household, and agroclimatic heterogeneity, a strong inverse relationship between farm size and yield is found to be prevalent in all regions of Turkey. The paper also investigates the impact of land fragmentation on productivity and labor input per acre, and finds a positive relationship. These results favor labor-centered theories that point to higher labor input per decare as the source of the inverse size-yield relationship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_551.
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2008-12-07 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-12-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-12-07 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-LAB-2008-12-07 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ukoha, O.O & Okoye, B.C & Emetu, J, 2010. "Analysis of the Determinants of Total Factor Productivity among Small-Holder Cassava Farmers in Ohafia L.G.A of Abia State," MPRA Paper 26125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Okoye, B.C & Okoye, A.C & Asumugha, G.N & Dimelu, M.U & Agwu, A.E & Agbaeze, C.C, 2008. "Determinants of Gender Productivity among Small- Holder Cocoyam Farmers’ in Nsukka Agricultural Zone of Enugu State, Nigeria," MPRA Paper 17500, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Okoye, B.C & Agbaeze, C.C & Asumugha, G.N & Aniedu, O.C & Mbanaso, E.N.A, 2009. "Small is Beautiful: Empirical Evidence of an Inverse Relationship between Farm Size and Productive Efficiency in Small-Holder Cassava Production in Ideato North LGA of Imo State," MPRA Paper 17418, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.