Inflation Targeting in Brazil
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to examine inflation targeting (IT) in emerging countries by concentrating essentially on the case of Brazil. The IT monetary policy regime has been adopted by a significant number of countries. While the focus of this paper is on Brazil, which began inflation targeting in 1999, we also examine the experience of other countries, both for comparative purposes and for evidence of the extent of this "new" economic policy's success. In addition, we compare the experience of Brazil with that of non-IT countries, and ask the question of whether adopting IT makes a difference in the fight against inflation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute, The in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_544.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2008-10-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2008-10-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-10-13 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2008-10-13 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hein, Eckhard, 2001.
"Institutions and macroeconomic performance: Central bank independence, labour market institutions and the perspectives for inflation and employment in the European Monetary Union,"
WSI Discussion Papers
95, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Hein, Eckhard, 2001. "Institutions and Macroeconomic Performance: Central Bank Independence, Labour Market Institutions and the Perspectives for Inflation and Employment in the European Monetary Union," MPRA Paper 18880, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartsch, Klaus & Hein, Eckhard & Truger, Achim, 2001.
"Zur Interdependenz von Geld- und Lohnpolitik: Makroökonometrische Ex-post und Ex-ante Simulationen verschiedener Szenarien für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland
[On the interdependence of monetary a," MPRA Paper 18715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartsch, Klaus & Hein, Eckhard & Truger, Achim, 2001. "Zur Interdependenz von Geld- und Lohnpolitik: Makroökonometrische Ex-post und Ex-ante Simulationen verschiedener Szenarien für die Bundesrepublik Deutschland," WSI Discussion Papers 100, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Hein, Eckhard, 1999.
"Zentralbank-Politik und makroökonomische Ergebnisse: eine sozio-institutionelle Interpretation
[Central Bank Policies and Macroeconomic Results: A Socio-institutional Interpretation]," MPRA Paper 18881, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Helder de Mendonca, 2007. "Towards credibility from inflation targeting: the Brazilian experience," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(20), pages 2599-2615.
- Naqvi, Bushra & Rizvi, Syed Kumail Abbas, 2009. "Inflation Targeting Framework: Is the story different for Asian Economies?," MPRA Paper 19546, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2010. "What Monetary Policy after the Crisis?," Review of Political Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 499-515.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.