The Discrete Charm of the Washington Consensus
AbstractOver the last two centuries in Latin America a Washington Consensus development strategy based on integration in the global trading system has dominated both domestic demand management and industrialization "from within." This paper assesses the performance of each from the point of view of the impact of external conditions, and the validity of its underlying theory. It concludes by noting that replacing the Consensus will require not only reform of the international financial architecture but also a return to the integrated policy framework represented in the Havana Charter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_533.
Date of creation: Apr 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2008-05-05 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2008-05-05 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carabelli, Anna & Cedrini. Mario, 2013.
"Globalization and Keynes's Ideal of a 'Sounder Political Economy between All Nations,"
CESMEP Working Papers
201305, University of Turin.
- Carabelli, Anna M. & Cedrini, Mario, 2013. "Globalization and Keynes’s Ideal of a “Sounder Political Economy between all Nations," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201349, University of Turin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.