Land Rental and Sales Markets in Paraguay
AbstractThis paper examines the claim that the land rental market can be an effective means of redistributing access to, if not ownership of, land to the rural poor, using Paraguay as our model. The land sales market is also examined. The land rental market in Paraguay's rural areas is found to be very thin, due at least in part to a lack of available credit for inputs. Renting-in substantial amounts of land is found to contribute significantly to household per-capita income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute, The in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_491.
Date of creation: Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-02-24 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2007-02-24 (Development)
- NEP-LAM-2007-02-24 (Central & South America)
- NEP-URE-2007-02-24 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1995.
"Power, distortions, revolt and reform in agricultural land relations,"
Handbook of Development Economics,
in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 42, pages 2659-2772
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus & Feder, Gershon, 1993. "Power, distortions, revolt, and reform in agricultural land relations," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1164, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus & Zegarra, Eduardo & Lavadenz, Isabel, 2003. "Determinants and Impacts of Rural Land Market Activity: Evidence from Nicaragua," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1385-1404, August.
- Deininger, Klaus & Binswanger, Hans, 1999. "The Evolution of the World Bank's Land Policy: Principles, Experience, and Future Challenges," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 247-76, August.
- Weisskoff, Richard, 1992. "The Paraguayan agro-export model of development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1531-1540, October.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus, 2009.
"Land rental markets in the process of rural structural transformation: Productivity and equity impacts from China,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 629-646, December.
- Jin, Songqing & Deininger, Klaus W., 2007. "Land Rental Markets in the Process of Rural Structural Transformation: Productivity and Equity Impacts from China," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9932, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing, 2007. "Land rental markets in the process of rural structural transformation : productivity and equity impacts in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4454, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.