What Remains of the Growth Controversy?
AbstractThis essay contrasts the production function approach to Kaldor's model of increasing returns which are demand-determined. In particular, the essay analyzes Kaldor's three major empirical "laws", which were adopted by later economists, and the criticisms of these three "laws" by economists who used the Cobb-Douglas production function as a basis of analysis. In conclusion, the essay finds that econometrics has provided an inadequate basis upon which to choose between this aggregate production function and Kaldor's model of growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_33.
Date of creation: Dec 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences,"
PSL Quarterly Review,
Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 429-438.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Anthony Philip Thirlwall, 1979. "The Balance of Payments Constraint as an Explanation of International Growth Rate Differences," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 32(128), pages 45-53.
- Vaciago, Giacomo, 1975. "Increasing Returns and Growth in Advanced Economies: A Re-evaluation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 232-39, July.
- Hoover, K.D., 1988. "The Logic Of Causal Inference: With An Application To Money And Prices," Papers 55, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1974. "The Elasticity of Substitution and Cyclical Behavior of Productivity, Wages, and Labor's Share," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 257-63, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.