Deficits, Debts and Growth: A Reprieve but not a Pardon
AbstractThese are fast moving times. Two years ago, the U.S. Congressional Budget Office (CBO, 2001) projected a federal budget surplus of $172 billion for fiscal year 2003. One year ago, the projected figure had changed to a deficit of $145 billion (CBO 2002). The actual figure, near the end of fiscal year 2003, turned out to be a deficit of about $390 billion. And just one month ago, President Bush submitted a request to Congress for an additional $87 billion appropriation for war expenditures, over and above the $166 billion tallied so far. It is widely anticipated that even this will have to be revised upward by the end of the coming year (Stevenson 2003; Firestone 2003).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Strategic Analysis Archive with number 03-10.
Date of creation: Oct 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-08-16 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio H. dos Santos & Anwar Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza, 2003.
"Measures of the Real GDP of US Trading Partners: Methodology and Results,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_387, Levy Economics Institute.
- Claudio H. Dos Santos & Anwar M. Shaikh & Gennaro Zezza, 2003. "Measures of the Real GDP of U.S. Trading Partners: Methodology and Results," International Trade 0309021, EconWPA.
- Wynne Godley & Alex Izurieta, 2001. "As The Implosion Begins . . .? Prospects and Policies for the U.S. Economy: A Strategic View," Economics Strategic Analysis Archive 01-7, Levy Economics Institute.
- Wynne Godley, 1999. "Seven Unsustainable Processes: Medium-Term Prospects and Policies for the United States and the World," Economics Strategic Analysis Archive 99-10, Levy Economics Institute.
- Alex Izurieta & Terry McKinley, 2006. "Addressing Global Imbalances: A Development-Oriented Policy Agenda," Working Papers 23, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Greg Hannsgen, 2004.
"The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy: A Critical Review,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_412, Levy Economics Institute.
- Greg Hannsgen, 2004. "The Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy: A Critical Review," Macroeconomics 0411004, EconWPA.
- Francis Cripps & Alex Izurieta & Terry McKinley, 2007. "Developing a Global Model for Trade, Finance and Income Distribution," Publications 1, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.