The Trouble with Pensions: Toward an Alternative Public Policy to Support Retirement
AbstractPension funds have taken a big hit during the current financial crisis, with losses in the trillions of dollars. In addition, both private and public pensions are experiencing significant funding shortfalls, as is the government-run Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, which insures the defined-benefit pension plans of private American companies. Yeva Nersisyan and Senior Scholar L. Randall Wray argue that the employment-based pension system is highly problematic, since the strategy for managing pension funds leads to excessive cost and risk in an effort to achieve above-average returns. The average fund manager, however, will only achieve the risk-free return. The authors therefore advocate expanding Social Security and encouraging private and public pensions to invest only in safe (risk-free) Treasury bonds--which, on average, will beat the net returns on risky assets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Public Policy Brief Archive with number ppb_109.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 2000.
"Minsky's Analysis of Financial Capitalism,"
- Dimitri B. Papadimitriou & L. Randall Wray, 1999. "Minsky's Analysis of Financial Capitalism," Economics Working Paper Archive, Levy Economics Institute wp_275, Levy Economics Institute.
- L. Randall Wray, 2008. "The Commodities Market Bubble: Money Manager Capitalism and the Financialization of Commodities," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive, Levy Economics Institute ppb_96, Levy Economics Institute.
- Marshall Auerback & L. Randall Wray, 2010. "Toward True Health Care Reform: More Care, Less Insurance," Economics Public Policy Brief Archive, Levy Economics Institute ppb_110, Levy Economics Institute.
- L. Randall Wray, 2011.
"Minsky's Money Manager Capitalism and the Global Financial Crisis,"
International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc.,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(2), pages 5-20, July.
- L. Randall Wray, 2011. "Minsky's Money Manager Capitalism and the Global Financial Crisis," Economics Working Paper Archive, Levy Economics Institute wp_661, Levy Economics Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.