Annuities, Bequests and Portfolio Diversification
AbstractIn this article, the diversification motives of the demand for annuities is analyzed. Using a model allowing for the uncertainty of both the human life length and the interest rate, the Decision Maker is supposed to choose an optimal portfolio to maximize a bequest. Conditions under which an increase in the risk of bond returns increase the demand for annuities are proposed and discussed. Moreover, it is shown that, contrary to previous claims, more risk adversion is associated with a lower demand for annuities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LERNA, University of Toulouse in its series LERNA Working Papers with number 09.14.290.
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Emmanuel Thibault, 2010. "Annuities, Bequests, and Portfolio Diversification," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 12(1), pages 75-91, 02.
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Emmanuel Thibault, 2010. "Annuities, Bequest and Portfolio Diversification," Post-Print hal-00630453, HAL.
- Hippolyte D'albis & Emmanuel Thibault, 2010. "Annuities, Bequest and Portfolio Diversification," Working Papers 246038, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Thibault, Emmanuel, 2009. "Annuities, Bequests and Portfolio Diversification," TSE Working Papers 09-010, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Davidoff & Jeffrey R. Brown & Peter A. Diamond, 2003.
"Annuities and Individual Welfare,"
NBER Working Papers
9714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Benjamin M. Friedman & Mark Warshawsky, 1985. "The Cost of Annuities: Implications for Saving Behavior and Bequests," NBER Working Papers 1682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Finkelshtain, Israel & Kella, Offer & Scarsini, Marco, 1999. "On risk aversion with two risks," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 239-250, March.
- Hadar, Josef & Seo, Tae Kun, 1990. "The Effects of Shifts in a Return Distribution on Optimal Portfolios," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(3), pages 721-36, August.
- Friedman, Benjamin M & Warshawsky, Mark J, 1990. "The Cost of Annuities: Implications for Saving Behavior and Bequests," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 105(1), pages 135-54, February.
- David Blake, 1999. "Annuity Markets: Problems and Solutions," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 358-375, July.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & ETNER, Johanna & SCHROYEN, Fred, 2007. "A benchmark value for relative prudence," CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) 2007086, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pratt, John W, 1988. " Aversion to One Risk in the Presence of Others," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 395-413, December.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Visite guidée au coeur des travaux du Meilleur jeune économiste 2012 (1/2)
by Matthieu Solignac in Regards croisés sur l'économie on 2012-05-28 19:26:09
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxime MARTY).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.