Finance, Institutions and Economic Growth
AbstractUsing data from 72 countries for the period 1978-2000, we find that financial development has larger effects on growth when the financial system is embedded within a sound institutional framework. This is particularly true for poor countries, where more finance without sound institutions is likely to fail in delivering more growth. For these countries, we find that improvements in institutions are likely to deliver much larger direct effects on growth than financial development itself. They are also likely to have positive indirect effects through the financial system, particularly when the latter is already providing large amounts of credit to the private sector. We also find that financial development is most potent in delivering extra growth in middle-income countries. Its effects are particularly large when institutional quality is high. Institutional improvements can also deliver more growth in these countries, especially when the financial system is well developed. Finally, we also find that while the effects of financial development in high-income countries are much smaller than in middle-income countries, even in these countries financial development has larger effects on growth when institutional quality is high.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Leicester in its series Discussion Papers in Economics with number 04/5.
Date of creation: Feb 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics University of Leicester, University Road. Leicester. LE1 7RH. UK
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2004-03-07 (Development)
- NEP-MAC-2004-03-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MFD-2004-03-07 (Microfinance)
- NEP-PKE-2004-03-07 (Post Keynesian Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tong, Jian & Xu, Cheng-Gang, 2004.
"Financial Institutions and the Wealth of Nations: Tales of Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4348, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tong, Jian & Xu, Chenggang, 2003. "Financial institutions and the wealth of nations: tales of development," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0404, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Jian Tong & Chenggang Xu, 2004. "Financial Institutions and The Wealth of Nations: Tales of Development," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /2004/469, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Jian Tong & Chenggang Xu, 2004. "Financial Institutions and The Wealth of Nations: Tales of Development," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-672, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Alexandru MINEA & Patrick VILLIEU, 2010. "Développement Financier, Qualité Institutionnelle Et Croissance : Un Modèle Simple Avec Effets De Seuil," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 32, pages 31-58.
- Jean-Pierre Allegret & Sana Azzabi, 2012. "DÃ©veloppement financier, croissance de long terme et effets de seuil," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(5), pages 553-581, December.
- Pappas, Anastasios, 2010. "Capital mobility and growth: Evidence from Greece," MPRA Paper 29105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdelkarim Yahyaoui & Atef Rahmani, 2009. "Financial Development and Economic Growth: Role of Institutional Quality," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(3), pages 327-357, September.
- Demetriades, Panicos O. & Andrianova, Svetlana, 2005. "Sources and Effectiveness of Financial Development: What We Know and What We Need to Know," Working Paper Series RP2005/76, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.