Economic Integration in West Africa: Does the CFA Make a Difference?
AbstractIn this paper we use data from 17 African nations in order to investigate the hypothesis that monetary union – represented in this case by the CFA Franc Zone – augments the extent of macroeconomic integration in developing countries. The paper covers a number of dimensions of integration including the volume of bilateral trade, real exchange rate volatility and the magnitude of cross-country business cycle correlation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Leicester in its series Discussion Papers in Economics with number 03/8.
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics University of Leicester, University Road. Leicester. LE1 7RH. UK
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E39 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Other
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F49 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Other
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-08-17 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fielding, David & Lee, Kevin & Shields, Kalvinder, 2004. "Modelling Macroeconomic Linkages in a Monetary Union: A West African Example," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- David Fielding & Kevin Lee & Kalvinder Shields, 2004.
"The Characteristics of Macroeconomic Shocks in the CFA Franc Zone,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(4), pages 488-517, December.
- Fielding, David & Lee, Kevin & Shields, Kalvinder, 2004. "The Characteristics of Macroeconomic Shocks in the CFA Franc Zone," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- David Fielding & Kevin Lee & Kalvinder Shields, 2012. "Does one size fit all? Modelling macroeconomic linkages in the West African Economic and Monetary Union," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 45-70, February.
- Zhao, Xiaodan & Kim, Yoonbai, 2009. "Is the CFA Franc Zone an Optimum Currency Area?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1877-1886, December.
- Houssa, Romain, 2008.
"Monetary union in West Africa and asymmetric shocks: A dynamic structural factor model approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 319-347, February.
- Romain Houssa, 2004. "Monetary Union in West Africa and Asymmetric Shocks: A Dynamic Structural Factor Model Approach," Development and Comp Systems 0409063, EconWPA.
- Romain Houssa, 2004. "Monetary Union in West Africa and Asymmetric Shocks: A Dynamic Structural Factor Model Approach," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-17, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Carsten Hefeker, 2010.
"Fiscal reform and monetary union in West Africa,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 86-102.
- Lula G. Mengesha & Mark J. Holmes, 2013. "Does Dollarization Alleviate Or Aggravate Exchange Rate Volatility?," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 99-118, June.
- Stefan Sperlich & Yvonne Sperlich, 2012. "Growth and Convergence in South–South Integration Areas: Empirical Evidence," Research Papers by the Department of Economics, University of Geneva 12032, Département des Sciences Économiques, Université de Genève.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2008. "An alternative reconsideration of macroeconomic convergence criteria for West African Monetary Zone," MPRA Paper 11367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2009. "Alternative reconsideration of output growth differrential for the West African Monetary Zone," MPRA Paper 13416, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Balogun, Emmanuel Dele, 2009. "Inflation differential in the West African Monetary Zone (WAMZ) area:Implications for unionization," MPRA Paper 13045, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.