Internal Migration and Poverty in KwaZulu-Natal: Findings from Censuses, Labour Force Surveys and Panel Data
AbstractIn a globalising world, the pace of human mobility has increased alongside flows of capital and goods. Regional integration and trade liberalisation have accompanied these trends and have, arguably, received more attention from both academic researchers and policymakers. Human movement, however, cannot be de-linked from other social and economic events and it is becoming critical to undertake research that identifies the links between human migration and these events.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town in its series SALDRU Working Papers with number 30.
Length: 69 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Leslie Social Science Building, Private Bag, Rondebosch, 7701
Phone: +27 21 650 5696
Fax: +27 21 650 5697
Web page: http://www.saldru.uct.ac.za/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-02-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2010-02-27 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2010-02-27 (Economics of Human Migration)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Natalya Dinat & Sally Peberdy, 2007. "Restless worlds of work, health and migration: domestic workers in Johannesburg," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 186-203.
- France Maphosa, 2007. "Remittances and development: the impact of migration to South Africa on rural livelihoods in southern Zimbabwe," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 123-136.
- Fion De Vletter, 2007. "Migration and development in Mozambique: poverty, inequality and survival," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 137-153.
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1998. "Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears : with an application to educational enrollments in states of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1994, The World Bank.
- Murray Leibbrandt & Haroon Bhorat, 1999. "Modelling Vulnerability and Low Earnings in the South African Labour Market," Working Papers 99032, University of Cape Town, Development Policy Research Unit.
- Lipton, Michael & Ravallion, Martin, 1993.
"Poverty and policy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1130, The World Bank.
- Jonathan Crush & Bruce Frayne, 2007. "The migration and development nexus in Southern Africa Introduction," Development Southern Africa, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 1-23.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alison Siljeur).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.