Determinants of the performance of the schools in Medellín in the high-school graduation-year test (ICFES)
AbstractThis paper analyses how the institutional processes, the school management as well as the contexts in which the school and the students are circumscribed, could impact the performance in the high-school graduation-year test (ICFES). A survey was applied with the purpose of know the actions and interactions among educative process actors. Factor Analysis and Hierarchical econometric models were used with the purpose of construct indexes and measure the impact of the considered variables. We found that school level variables, including management, explain a high percentage of the performance variability, while those constructed variables associated to student’s characteristics have a low impact. And parent human capital and the initial student conditions are much more important than the teacher human capital. Contrary to the expected, it’s not clear what kind of use and if to increase infrastructure resources favors the achievement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía in its series Grupo Microeconomía Aplicada with number 048.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.udea.edu.co/portal/page/portal/portal/A.InformacionInstitucional/H.UnidadesAcademicas/A.Facultades/CienciasEconomicas
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Apartado Aéreo 1226, Medellín - Colombia
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A21 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - Pre-college
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- C40 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward Clarke, 1971. "Multipart pricing of public goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 17-33, September.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2000. "Remuneraciones y los profesores en Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 93, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Jeffrey Grogger, 1997. "Local Violence and Educational Attainment," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(4), pages 659-682.
- Bishop, John H. & Woessmann, Ludger, 2002.
"Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production,"
IZA Discussion Papers
484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- John Bishop & Ludger Wossmann, 2004. "Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 17-38.
- John H. Bishop & Ludger Wößmann, 2001. "Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production," Kiel Working Papers 1085, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Bishop, John H. & Wößmann, Ludger, 2004. "Institutional effects in a simple model of educational production," Munich Reprints in Economics 20279, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bishop, John H. & Ludger Woessmann, 2002. "Institutional Effects in a Simple Model of Educational Production," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 29, Royal Economic Society.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera & Teresa Reinaga, 1999. "Factores que inciden en el rendimiento escolar en Bolivia," Documentos de Trabajo 61, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Woessmann, Ludger, 2007. "The role of education quality for economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4122, The World Bank.
- Carolina Ostoic & Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2004. "Equity and Achievement in the Chilean School Choice Experience," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 232, Econometric Society.
- Hambor, John C & Phillips, Llad & Votey, Harold L, Jr, 1973. "Optimal Community Educational Attainment: A Simultaneous Equation Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 98-103, February.
- Jairo Núñez & Roberto Steiner & Ximena Cadena & Renata Pardo, 2002.
"¿Cuáles Colegios Ofrecen Mejor Educación En Colombia?,"
003796, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Jairo NUÑEZ MENDEZ & Roberto STEINER & Ximena CADENA & Renata PARDO, 2002. "¿Cuáles colegios ofrecen mejor educación en Colombia?," ARCHIVOS DE ECONOMÃA 003795, DEPARTAMENTO NACIONAL DE PLANEACIÓN.
- Piedad Patricia Restrepo Restrepo & Mauricio Alviar Ramírez, 2004. "El logro académico y el efecto colegio en las pruebas Icfes en Antioquia," Lecturas de Economía, Universidad de Antioquia, Departamento de Economía, issue 60, pages 67-95, Enero-Jun.
- Theodore Groves & Martin Loeb, 1974.
"Incentives and Public Inputs,"
29, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Paul Glewwe & Hanan Jacoby, 1994. "Student Achievement and Schooling Choice in Low-Income Countries: Evidence from Ghana," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(3), pages 843-864.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlos Andrés Vasco Correa).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.